Violence won't force Orthodox flock to leave Syria - Patriarch John X

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2013

      Violence won't force Orthodox flock to leave Syria - Patriarch John X
      Moscow, April 29, 2013

      Patriarch of Antioch and All the East John X has urged the world
      community to end the violence in Syria and help free the two abducted
      Orthodox leaders of Aleppo.

      "I take this opportunity to extend, on your behalf, in the motherlands
      and abroad, an appeal to the international community, urging it to do
      everything it can toward the release of hostages whose absence affects
      us deeply," John X said in a message "To the Shepherds of the Holy
      Church of Antioch."

      "The speedy closure of this issue is extremely important in order to
      avert the risk of terrible consequences that would follow," he said.
      "Our appeal also includes an urgent call for action in order to find a
      quick solution to the situation in our beloved Syria; for the salvation
      of the people who are the descendants of an outstanding human
      civilization of thousands of years, and in order to prevent the risky
      consequences that could affect the entire region," he said.

      "Since we are the children of the Resurrection, we are not afraid of
      whoever takes violence as a way to achieve his purpose. To be killed, or
      kidnapped, or to have our institutions destroyed, will not change our
      resolve to uphold our civil life and our co-existence; to cling to our
      homeland and to seek the reign of justice and rights in our homelands,"
      John X said.

      "Therefore, each and every one of us, whether in the Antiochian
      motherlands or abroad, is invited to express his concern and personal
      rejection of the recent course of events, aside from any political
      realignment. Humanity is the object of Christianity, for our Lord was
      incarnated for our salvation," the message says.

      "As we are entering the time of the Holy Passion and Resurrection of our
      Lord, I invite you to reveal the unity of our Church who fervently
      gathers Her flock in all that is right and just. In this time, let us
      exceptionally intensify our prayers and supplications. Just as our Lord
      was not afraid to walk on the path of Calvary, in the same way we are
      invited to walk with Him along this path, being fully aware that by the
      Cross we shall conquer," the message says.

      Militants abducted John X's brother, Metropolitan of Aleppo Paul Yazigi,
      and Syrian Orthodox Metropolitan of Aleppo Youhanna Ibrahim, on April
      22. The deacon who was accompanying them was killed. The church notables
      were on a humanitarian mission in the village of Kfar Dael near the
      Syrian-Turkish border.