For Arab Orthodox church, Middle East turbulence hits home

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2013
      http://globalnews.ca/news/517693/for-arab-orthodox-church-middle-east-turbulence-hits-home/

      April 28, 2013 7:43 pm
      For Arab Orthodox church, Middle East turbulence hits home
      By Billy Shields Global News

      MONTREAL- News that two bishops were kidnapped in Syria has shaken
      Montreal’s Arab Orthodox Christians.

      “Today I asked for the people when they made their procession, to pray
      for peace, to pray for these bishops,” said Economos Antony Gabriel, of
      St. George’s Orthodox Church. ”We don’t want to see the church
      destroyed, and we don’t want Christians to leave the Middle East.”

      Some of the congregants of St. George’s hail from the area Aleppo, where
      bishops Paul Yagizi and Yohanna Ibrahim were kidnapped.

      “It hurts a lot,” said George Malha, who emigrated to Montreal from
      Syria. “It has reached a point where there’s no more respect for anything.”

      Palm Sunday commemorates the day Jesus came into Jerusalem, and in the
      Orthodox calendar sets the stage for Easter. At St. George’s, which is
      in Mile End, it involves a procession that winds around the block. For
      the church the event is usually a happy time celebrated by families.

      “I think it’s important that we stay close to our roots, and that we
      show our children what’s important,” said Wendy Cherbaka, a
      third-generation Lebanese-Canadian. The vast majority of the church’s
      congregants have origins from parts of the Arab world that has seen some
      of the worst turbulence recently, like Syria, Egypt and Iraq. What is a
      yearly Palm Sunday ceremony took on a slight political complexion this year.

      “We’re hoping actually that this event will bring peace, especially to
      those in the Middle East and those here in north america as well,” said
      Charlie Kawwas, who was born in Palestine.