Jerusalem: Nun says loals building illegally on monastery land

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2013

      http://www.maannews.net/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=588397

      Nun says locals building illegally on monastery
      land

      Published Monday 22/04/2013 (updated) 24/04/2013
      20:11

      JERUSALEM (Ma'an) -- The head of a
      monastery in East Jerusalem on Monday accused residents of al-Eizariyya of
      building illegally on church land.

      Al-Eizariyya residents are
      constructing buildings on the private lands of the Holy Monastery of Martha and
      Maria, "brushing aside all religious, social and national values," said Sister
      Efpraxia.

      "This is a dangerous violation in broad daylight, and
      construction is ongoing despite our frequent appeals and calls. Such provocative
      acts are not acceptable by any rational human," the abbess added.

      The nun
      appealed to President Mahmoud Abbas and Jordan's King Abdullah, custodian of
      holy sites in East Jerusalem, "to relieve the feeble people as soon as possible
      bringing these overt violations against the monastery's property."

      She
      added: "Our properties and lands are not deserted properties, but rather
      Orthodox endowments and always will be. Next Saturday we will celebrate Lazarus
      Saturday. Dozens of pilgrims will visit the monastery from all over the world,
      and we wonder what we will tell them when they see these violations against the
      monastery’s property."