Nun says locals building illegally on monastery land

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2013
      http://www.maannews.net/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=588397

      Nun says locals building illegally on monastery land
      23/4/13

      JERUSALEM (Ma'an) -- The head of a monastery in East Jerusalem on Monday
      accused residents of al-Eizariyya of building illegally on church land.

      Al-Eizariyya residents are constructing buildings on the private lands
      of the Holy Monastery of Martha and Maria, "brushing aside all
      religious, social and national values," said Sister Efpraxia.

      "This is a dangerous violation in broad daylight, and construction is
      ongoing despite our frequent appeals and calls. Such provocative acts
      are not acceptable by any rational human," the abbess added.

      The nun appealed to President Mahmoud Abbas and Jordan's King Abdullah,
      custodian of holy sites in East Jerusalem, "to relieve the feeble people
      as soon as possible bringing these overt violations against the
      monastery's property."

      She added: "Our properties and lands are not deserted properties, but
      rather Orthodox endowments and always will be. Next Saturday we will
      celebrate Lazarus Saturday. Dozens of pilgrims will visit the monastery
      from all over the world, and we wonder what we will tell them when they
      see these violations against the monastery’s property."