Patriarch Kirill: Russian society concerned about unpleasant consequences of migration increase

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2013

      22 April 2013, 10:01
      Russian society concerned about unpleasant consequences of migration
      increase - Patriarch Kirill

      Moscow, April 22, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia
      said Russia needs a workforce, and labor migration from the outside
      leads to crime and the country needs to dramatically increase its own
      demographic situation.

      "We know that migration leads to an increase in crime, including the
      creation of ethnic criminal groups. We know that the lack of
      understanding of local culture, local language, and local traditions
      often provoke grassroots conflicts," the patriarch said during a meeting
      with Russian Federal Migration Service Director Konstantin Romodanovsky.

      "It is perfectly obvious that society has now clearly voiced its
      concerns about the unpleasant consequences of the increased number of
      migrants on the territory of our country," Patriarch Kirill said.

      "Economic growth envisages the availability of workforce, which cannot
      be fully provided by internal resources. That does not mean that's how
      it should always be. Speaking about migrants and the foreign workforce
      coming from abroad, we simultaneously emphasize the need to resolve the
      demographic problems of our society as soon as possible," the Patriarch
      said.