Church Abroad forgets Russian-language. Orthodoxy in the United States is becoming increasingly English-speaking and American in spirit

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17 8:13 AM
      http://www.portal-credo.ru/site/?act=news&id=100210

      April 17, 2013, 17:18
      MEDIA MONITORING: Russian Church Abroad forgets. Orthodoxy in the United
      States is becoming increasingly English-speaking and American in spirit

      In the conservative Russian Orthodox Church Outside (ROCA), until
      recently, firmly defended his "Russian character", there are
      unprecedented changes.The Primate of the ROCOR, Metropolitan Hilarion
      (Kapral) for the first time in the history of this church, in 2008, was
      ordained bishop-Americans Jerome (Jerome Shaw) and George (George
      Schaefer).

      Metropolitan Hilarion himself - Ukrainian Canadian family of immigrants
      from Volyn, and his predecessor, Metropolitan Laurus (Shkurla) -
      Carpatho from Slovakia, but in the Church, they were considered
      Russian.Now, with the active participation and blessing of Metropolitan
      Hilarion ordained an unprecedented number of English-speaking clergy -
      priests, deacons and readers.

      In many parishes of the ROCOR began to hold services in English.In the
      stronghold of "Russian-ness" of Holy Trinity Seminary in Jordanville
      entered teaching in English in addition to Russian.An elderly priest,
      who visited the funeral of former First Hierarch Metropolitan Laurus (in
      2008), once told me: "I found myself in a crowd where everyone - priests
      and monks - talking to each other in English.For ROCA it was
      unbelievable twenty years ago.And I realized that we live in a different
      world. "

      A growing number of American convert affects not only the language but
      also the style of life of the Church, and even to change attitudes
      towards faith.This does not mean that the new church and theological
      language of ROCOR - the language of liberalism, no, on the contrary, it
      is the language of American conservatism.Probably the largest group of
      new believers - is the Southerners who had come from various Protestant
      churches.Characterized by a lecture on the relationship shepherd and
      flock, read by Fr Stephen Ritter of the Ascension Monastery (Resaka,
      Ga.) and posted on the official website of the ROCOR
      (http://www.eadiocese Org/News/2013/mar/ritter.en.htm) .The priest
      spoke of freedom, which is the true content of orthodoxy, that obedience
      is not obedience, but rather obedience to the shepherd and his flock,
      the old man and his disciples should be mutual, the need not to restrict
      the freedom of the flock, and other things that's not often heard in
      Orthodox circles in Russian.Ritter cited specific examples from the life
      of the Church.Although the names in the lecture were not named, but the
      church is small, and everyone knew what it was about.

      Trends in the Americanization of the Church can not be in conflict with
      the way of thinking and ideas of religious orthodoxy - Russian descent,
      especially those who are not born in the United States, and came from
      Russia.In October 2012 at the Joint Pastoral Conference of the Eastern
      American Diocese of the ROCOR and the Moscow Patriarchate in the New
      York-based group of priests tried to raise the issue of how to treat
      people in the church, something that hurt other members.«People abused
      by church» - in America, this is actually a topic that versed in
      religious educational institutions, religious periodicals, books devoted
      to it.The Russian organizers vehemently rejected this initiative and
      said that all sin and evil that discuss these issues at a meeting
      unthinkable.Although the audience were honored priests, ready to share
      their experiences.American priests has caused bewilderment and luxury of
      the event, paid by the Russian Embassy, including a chic dinner's
      boat."20,000 dollars for a dinner with music - Outraged familiar priest
      - it would be better to parishes and churches of the money was given.In
      many churches the roof is leaking, there is nothing to pay utility bills
      ... "Basically Russian church is not rich, Russian ministry of the
      priest in America - it unprofitable.Most of the clergy are forced to
      work on the side to make ends meet and support his family.

      The tensions are exacerbated by a fashionable anti-Americanism,
      religious officials traveling from Moscow."I can not talk to Muscovites
      - told me Russian Orthodox Church priest, he had come from Moscow 20
      years ago - here is my home, family, congregation, where I serve God,
      and I do not want to play along their hostility."When asked whether it
      is possible to ignore the behavior of the guests, he nervously threw
      that this issue is not circumvented in pastoral communication.

      The concept of "Russian World" launched by Patriarch Kirill, the
      parishes are taking a very low profile.The priests brought up on
      American soil, most of them do not connect with the nationality of
      Orthodoxy."Russian Orthodox Christians in America continue the spiritual
      tradition of Russian Orthodox Church, but the Church is God, and not
      power, people, culture, etc., - said one clergyman of the ROCOR.-
      Traditionally, the Church has been associated with the empire, and led
      her to stand monarch.However, the Emperor - the anointed of God, and in
      the absence of the monarchy, I prefer American ways in which the Church
      is separated from the state.I do not interfere in the affairs of the
      world, and to me they do not take orders, what I should do.The more the
      state can give me, the more it can also take away. ""We in America know
      the Patriarch since 1991.He is very intelligent man, and then was
      surprisingly open - told another priest.- However, I listened to his
      presentation of the concept of "Russian World" during the community meal
      in Kiev in 2011.I knew that she and Ukraine does not fit, not only for
      America. "

      It does not help the faithful approximation of the two countries and the
      fact that do not meet the expectations of some prominent ROCOR clergy
      who had hoped for a career in Moscow after the reunification of the
      Russian Orthodox Church and the ROCOR in 2007.However, the author
      conducted an impromptu poll of Article 14 of clergy-Americans, who were
      present at the service of Metropolitan Hilarion at the Annunciation
      Cathedral in Flushing (New York), showed that about the "Russian world"
      only heard three.

      There are other reasons for the conflict.In American Orthodox
      organizations have formed "family church" where parishes and influence
      passed from father to son.In the Orthodox Church fear the revival of
      "grabbizma" - on behalf of the Secretary of the Synod of ROCOR Bishop of
      Manhattan Gregory (Grabbe) at Metropolitan Philaret (Voznesensky)
      (1964-1985).He was accused of creating an unhealthy atmosphere of
      nepotism, corruption and mismanagement.In the Russian Orthodox Church
      Outside of a few priests had the dynasties that control the whole
      county.Unfortunately, they become the mainstay of "Russian-ness."

      Gaining strength "ethnic" conflict in the Eastern American Diocese.A
      large group of English-speaking priests and monks, not so long ago
      turned to Metropolitan Hilarion with a request to quit over the
      diocese.Metropolitan granted them the status of stavropegic, and they
      are now directly subject to the Primate of the Church itself.

      Of course, now blended families where one spouse is a non-Russian
      origin, not pushed out of the Russian parishes, and children speaking in
      Russian with an accent, not bullied in school and church under the
      patronage of the Church of Scout camps NORR (National Organization of
      Russian Scouts).However, the friction will exist for a long time.

      Although such nepotism in the old pre-revolutionary traditions are still
      some places considered priestly dynasties, but this is probably nepotism
      inherent in the religious life of the United States.America is able to
      adapt everything that comes into contact.Even the Russian Orthodox Church.

      /Anna Nezhynskaya,/

      /"NG-RELIGION"
      <http://www.ng.ru/ng_religii/2013-04-17/4_orthodox_usa.html>, April 17,
      2013/