Mark Stokoe: "Accountabiity and Transparency: Blades that cut both ways....."

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16 5:14 AM
      http://www.portal-credo.ru/site/print.php?act=news&id=100171

      16-04-2013 15:14
      ENGLISH VERSION: MARK STOKOE, the former
      editor of OCANews.org: «Accountability and Transparency: Blades that cut both
      ways, revealing guilt, defending the innocent»
      ________________________________

      "Portal-Credo.Ru": Mark,
      in your opinion, is the removal of the Metropolitan of the Czech Lands and
      Slovakia, Christopher major milestone for the Orthodox world or an event of
      local significance in the Czech Republic and Slovakia?

      Mark
      Stokoe: It is a confirmation, more than a milestone.
      Confirmation that transparency and accountability in church life are both
      necessary virtues. Accountability and transparency can both reveal the guilty –
      and protect the innocent. In Metropolitan Christopher’s case, the fact that the
      Metropolitan dealt with this openly, and is now going to court to clear his
      name, shows how the two virtues can help us towards the truth, wherever it
      leads.

      -
      Judging by some circumstances, Metropolitan Christopher lost control of his
      actions a long time ago. – How did he resolve the issue with his
      conscience?

      --- Well, in America one is innocent until proven guilty, so accusations, while they
      must be taken seriously, are not the same as guilt. I don’t know if the Metropolitan “lost control of his actions a long time ago”; but in this case,
      with accusations of up to 10 children, simple DNA tests will tell us all much as
      to who is telling the truth in this whole affair. Either they are his children –
      or not. The rest follows...

      No
      matter the outcome of any trial, I don’t presume to judge or know another’s
      conscience. I have hard enough time dealing with the constant complaints of my
      own.

      -
      We’re all sinners – and monasticism is intended to give us an example of
      humility and piety, but there are more than enough examples of Episcopal
      monastic sins. Don’t you think that the institution of high-ranking monks,
      especially those living – has outlived its usefulness? To clarify, I mean only
      higher-ranking clergy, of which Metropolitan Christopher was one.

      ---
      I have known two great ruling Archbishops: Paul (Olmari) of Finland and Anthony
      (Bloom) of Sourouzh. Both reigned over their Churches in every sense of the
      word, but both were extraordinarily collegial in their leadership style, and
      encouraged collegiality. Their Churches flourished because of it, for they
      realized their duty was not to rule, but to help others learn to rule
      themselves; not to be the “Daddy”, telling everybody what to do and how to do
      it, but to help the priests and laity in their Churches grow in “...unity in the
      faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the
      whole measure of the fullness of Christ.” (Ephesians 4:13) This did not decrease
      their pastor ship, but enhanced it. When the young people of the Sourozh diocese
      were gathered to discuss how to form and run a youth group, they came into
      conflict with some of the priests present who wanted more control over the
      nascent organization. Finally the priests, playing their trump card, said:
      “Well, this is not for us to decide now, this is for the Bishop to decide.”
      After 2 hours of discussion, everyone had forgotten the Bishop was in the back
      of the room, for he had been watching silently letting the fruitful debate
      continue. When the priest spoke up to put the debate to rest, Metropolitan
      Anthony rose and said: “ The Bishop decides now. It shall be as the young people
      desire.” It was the greatest example of the “monarchical episcopacy” I have
      every seen. Metropolitan Anthony understood the ancient secular maxim that
      applies to the Church as well: ”The government that rules least, rules best.”
      All our bishops would do well to remember it.

      There
      is another secular maxim, that applies equally well – and it, in fact, was said
      the Church: “Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.” If our
      bishops are enabled to live and act as princes, why are we surprised some
      exhibit the faults of princes? It is as simple as that.

      -
      Do you think this behavior of bishops is a pattern, or is it still a
      rarity?

      ---
      Is sin a rarity? Does unlimited money, unbridled power, and a culture secrecy
      make sin easier, or more difficult? You tell me.

      -
      Did you know the Metropolitan Christopher? What is your opinion of him? Were
      there prior indications of the possibility of such behavior?

      ---
      I met Metropolitan Christopher when he was a priest-monk, the kind of wonderful
      young priest who, declining a bed, slept on the floor cheerfully, so another
      could rest more comfortably. I thought very highly of him from our first
      meeting, and I have heard nothing to make me change that opinion over the years
      I have known him.

      His
      personal story is both interesting and compelling, if little known. There are
      not too many divorced Primates of Orthodox Churches. As a young man he married,
      and desired to follow his calling to the priesthood. His wife wanted to be a
      doctor. So, he put off his career in the Church and worked as a printer in a
      factory so his wife could attend medical school. They had two children.
      Unfortunately, by the time his wife completed her studies, and he his, she no
      longer wanted to be a “matushka” in a simple, quiet, provincial village. He took
      his vows as a priest seriously – and so she divorced him, and took the children.
      He eventually became a priest-monk, and while his children were no secret – he
      would introduce close friends to them – it was part of his life he did not
      trumpet about for fear of misunderstanding. And then he was made a bishop, and
      elected Metropolitan! “Poor Christopher”, I told a friend upon hearing of his
      election, “I just hope he doesn’t end up like St. Innocent of Moscow, The
      Enlightener of Alaska!” (Saint Innocent is famous in America for appearing in a
      well-known 19th century book about Orthodoxy, in a picture that has him sitting
      on his throne in Moscow with his son standing next him. The caption reads:
      “Metropolitan Innocent of Moscow, pictured with his son. The senior clergy of
      the Eastern Church are celibate”).
      am also reminded of the situation of the former Catholic Archbishop here in
      Dayton, Ohio, who was accused of molesting a young man in the 1980’s. The
      Archbishop demanded a trial, and was found not guilty. His accuser eventually
      admitted he lied, and the Archbishop visited him, publicly forgave him, and
      helped him find his way forward. Archbishop Bernadin went on to lead the
      Archdiocese of Chicago, and to become a Cardinal. I would hope Metropolitan
      Christopher could be as courageous and generous as Cardinal Bernadin should the
      outcomes prove similar.

      -
      To what extent do lay people and members of the Church need to know the details
      of such defamatory cases?

      ---
      Let me conclude where I began. Transparency and accountability both reveal the
      guilty – but also protect the innocent. By dealing with things openly, as did
      Archbishop Bernadin, he was able to go on to greater things, like becoming a
      Cardinal. If everything had been “hushed up”, that would never have been the
      case. Light is the best disinfectant, and the light of Christ can clean, and
      heal, all. Let us pray that is the case here as well.

      Interviewed
      by Svetlana Vais,
      New York,
      for "Portal-Credo.Ru"