Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin warns those who observe Lent against "culinary glamour"

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4 12:35 PM

      04 April 2013, 10:01
      Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin warns those who observe Lent against
      "culinary glamour"

      Moscow, April 4, Interfax - Head of the Synodal Department for Church
      and Society Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin recommends believers
      to avoid culinary fancies during the Lent, saying that it is just
      "Lenten pop culture."

      "Sometimes people try to turn Lent in a kind of culinary glamour. I
      believe it is conscious or unconscious attempt to kill its true meaning.
      I see only hypocrisy in difficult fast recipes, in soy meat, in various
      culinary fancies that formally corresponds to the rules of Lenten
      cousin," the priest said in his interview to the Prichod.ru website.

      He sees Pharisaism in such approach: "formally you don't violate
      anything, but in fact you devote much time to please your belly."

      "There are a lot of products for Lent today. I believe it is quite
      possible to cook them quickly not devoting to food the time and
      attention it does not deserve," Fr. Vsevolod stressed.

      He reminded that Lent is, first of all, the time for repentance, for
      life in reflections, "and those who pay much attention to the question
      what to eat and what not to eat, spending much time in such discussions
      are not right."

      "Lent is the time when we should realize that what seemed absolutely
      unthinkable two weeks ago in fact can be quite real, especially refusing
      seemingly vital, but really unnecessary information resources, refusing
      fuss, empty talks and thoughts," the Church representative said.