Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Bringing Moscow spiritual authority to the North

Expand Messages
  • Bill Samsonoff
    http://rbth.ru/travel/2013/03/22/bringing_moscows_spiritual_authority_to_the_north_24167.html Bringing Moscow spiritual authority to the North March 22, 2013
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2013

      Bringing Moscow spiritual authority to the North
      March 22, 2013 William Brumfield, special to RBTH

      Once a bulwark of the Muscovite state in the Russian North, today the
      Savior Prilutsky Monastery is both a historical site and center of worship.

      The 14th century was critical in many ways for the formation of the
      Muscovite state that would become the center of Russia.

      One of the most important accomplishments was the development of
      monastic institutions that not only elevated the propagation of the
      faith and the quest for a spiritual life but also advanced the interests
      of the Moscow principality as the primary defender of Russian Orthodoxy.
      In 1325 the head of the Church, Metropolitan Peter, transferred his
      residence from Vladimir to Moscow, a move that greatly strengthened the
      political and spiritual leadership of Moscow.

      These monasteries were especially important in the sparsely settled
      Russian North. Among the earliest of the northern monastic foundations
      was the Savior-Prilutsky (Spaso-Prilutsky) Monastery, picturesquely
      situated near a bend in the Vologda River to the north of the town of
      Vologda. It was established presumably in the early 1370s by the
      venerable Dmitry Prilutsky, who was one of the most active proponents of
      Orthodoxy in the north.

      Prilutsky's childhood and youth were closely linked with the town of
      where he became a monk at the Goritsky Dormition Monastery. During the
      1350s he was closely associated both with Sergius of Radonezh and
      Moscow's grand prince Dmitry Ivanovich (Donskoi).

      Sensing the call to create his own spiritual retreat, Dmitry was advised
      by Sergius to go to the northern forests, together with the monk Pahomy,
      and undertake the arduous work of creating a monastic outpost.

      This effort apparently had the support prince Dmitrii Ivanovich as one
      of the early bulwarks of Orthodox Moscow in the northern territory
      around Vologda.The Prilutsky Monastery was also favored by grand prince
      Vasily III, who visited it on a pilgrimage with his wife Elena Glinskaia
      in 1528.

      The monastery's original buildings were of logs, including the main
      church, dedicated to the Procession of the Precious Wood of the
      Life-giving Cross of the Lord. After its destruction by fire, the Savior
      Cathedral, as the church is known, was rebuilt in brick during 1537-1542
      with substantial support from Moscow.

      In 1541 the young grand prince Ivan IV (later known as Ivan the
      Terrible) issued a decree that released the monastery from all taxes for
      a period of five years. Ivan first visited the monastery in 1545, and it
      remained under his attention thereafter.

      As a result of princely favor, the Savior Cathedral at the Prilutsky
      Monastery became the earliest large masonry structure in Vologda.
      Similar in design to other provincial churches that imitated Moscow's
      cathedrals, the Savior Cathedral also has distinctive features that link
      it to late 15th-century northern churches such as the Dormition
      Cathedral (1497) atthe St. Kirill-Belozersk Monastery
      and the Nativity fo the Virgin (1490) at Ferapontov Monastery

      The Savior Cathedral is elevated on a high base, which contained a
      separate church primarily for winter use primarily. This lower church
      has five altars, whose dedications include St. Dmitry and St. Sergius.
      The exterior walls rise to two rows of curved gables (zakomary) that are
      both structural and decorative. The structure is crowned with an
      ensemble of five drums and cupolas that provide a harmonious vertical

      The interior of the Savior Cathedral, whose whitewashed walls were never
      painted with frescoes, possesses an austere monumentality. Four large
      piers ascend to the corbelled vaults that support the cupola drums. The
      interior now has a new iconostasis of impressive size and scale. Its
      altar dedications include the Procession of the Cross and the
      Transfiguration of the Savior.

      A raised gallery envelopes the cathedral and leads at the southeast
      corner to the monastery refectory and the Church of the Presentation,
      built in the late 1540s. The church is crowned with a pyramid of
      decorative gables and a single cupola. The central monastic ensemble is
      completed by a bell tower, rebuilt in 1729-30 on a 17th-century base.

      On the north side of the monastery is the Gate Church of the Ascension,
      built in 1584-90 and originally dedicated to St. Theodore Stratilates,
      the patron of Tsar Fyodor, who ruled from 1584 to 1598.

      With Fyodor's death the Riurikovich dynasty came to an end and the
      subsequent period of unrest is known as the Time of Troubles. During
      this period the Savior-Prilutsky Monastery suffered greatly. In 1612, it
      was sacked by Polish forces and rogue Cossacks. Further raids occurred
      in 1615 and 1619.

      With these memories in mind, the Prilutsky Monastery received state
      funds to build massive brick walls and five towers, completed in 1656.
      In the 18th and 19th centuries other churches, cloisters and an
      infirmary were built within the monastery walls.

      In 1924 the Savior Prilutsky Monastery was closed as a result of the
      general campaign against religion. During the 1930s, the monastic
      grounds became a crowded detention center for peasants dispossessed
      during the collectivization of agriculture and shipped to
      harsh"resettlement" in the north. Following the death of Stalin in 1953,
      the monastic ensemble was gradually restored as a cultural and
      historical monument.

      In 1979 it became a part of the Vologda State Museum

      The monastery gained a stunning addition in 1962 with the reconstruction
      of the ancient log Church of the Dormition from the long-abandoned
      Alexander Kushtsky Monastery, located near Kubenskoe Lake in Vologda
      Province. Although manuscript references lead some to state that the
      structure dates from 1519, other specialists assume that its existing
      form was frequently rebuilt and more probably dates from the late 17th

      In 1990-91 the Savior-Prilutsky Monastery was returned to the Orthodox
      Church, which carefully maintains the historic buildings. The monastery
      now plays an active role in the spiritual life of the Vologda region,
      even as it remains one of the great cultural and architectural treasures
      of the Russian North.

      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.