UOC-MP Is Prepared for Dialogue with UAOC and UOC-Kyiv Patriarchate

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2013
      http://risu.org.ua/en/index/all_news/confessional/orthodox_relations/51660/

      UOC-MP Is Prepared for Dialogue with UAOC and UOC-Kyiv Patriarchate

      Last week in an interview to Kp.ua, the Administrator of the Ukrainian
      Orthodox Church-Moscow Patriarchate (UOC-MP) Metropolitan Antonii
      (Pakanych) of Boryspil spoke about the prospects of the dialogue with
      the Kyivan Patriarchate, Religion.in.ua reported.

      In his interview, Metropolitan Antonii stressed that the UOC-MP is
      prepared to carry on the dialogue with the Ukrainian Autocephalous
      Orthodox Church (UAOC) and the Ukrainian Orthodox Church-Kyivan
      Patriarchate (UOC-KP) and that the UOC-MP “now has an official dialogue
      with the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church.” He admitted that no
      dialogue with the Kyiv Patriarchate has been launched and that “only
      consultations were conducted on a possible format of the dialogue.”

      In answer to the question “why it was not possible even to start a
      dialogue with the Kyivan Patriarchate,” Metropolitan Antonii answered,
      “Many ordinary members of our church still remember the conflicts of
      1990s, the struggle for church buildings, clashes between communities
      including the attempt to seize the Kyiv Cave Monastery. This
      considerably complicates the preparation of the dialogue. In addition,
      there are serious differences between our church and the Kyivan
      Patriarchate regarding possible ways of overcoming the divide. Our
      church insists that all those who deliberately broke the connection with
      the world Orthodoxy should repent and return to the church
      communication. However, the Kyivan Patriarchate does not admit its guilt
      in the tragedy of the church divide. But despite these difficulties, we
      believe that the Lord will open to us ways to overcome the church divide
      in Ukraine.”