A New Foundation

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2013
      http://home.catholicweb.com/McCarthyAssembly/index.cfm/NewsItem?ID=346898&From=home&sharedarticle=1

      A New Foundation

      Robert Moynihan Editor - In - Chief
      Inside the Vatican Magazine

      Out of a conviction that the "signs of the times" call for greater unity
      among Christians, and greater collaboration among all men and women of
      good will to build a more free and just society than the one that seems
      to be emerging in the "post-Christian" West, we have decided to launch a
      new Foundation, called the Urbi et Orbi Foundation. We are seeking 100
      founding members to join with us

      In Defense of the West: Announcing a New Foundation to Help Create a
      Strategic Alliance

      “Peter’s responsibility thus consists of guaranteeing the communion with
      Christ. Let us pray so that the primacy of Peter, entrusted to poor
      human beings, may always be exercised in this original sense desired by
      the Lord, so that it will be increasingly recognized in its true meaning
      by brothers who are still not in communion with us.” —Pope Benedict XVI,
      speaking in St. Peter’s Square on June 7, 2006

      “The idea of a strategic alliance with the Catholics is an old idea of
      mine. It came to me when the Catholics were electing the new Pope.”
      —Russian Orthodox Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev, March 24, 2011

      January 17, 2013

      Dear friend,

      Greetings and best wishes in this season following Christmas and the
      beginning of the new year.

      I am writing to invite you to become a founding member of a new
      Foundation dedicated to working to create a “strategic alliance” between
      Catholics and other Christians around the world, especially with the
      Orthodox, in an effort to “defend the West” by defending traditional
      Christian faith and values.

      On Christmas Eve, we sent this same invitation by traditional mail to a
      select group of 1,000 prominent Catholics around the world, including a
      number of bishops and cardinals. We have received 30 responses and have
      raised nearly $50,000. But we are still far from our goal, and we need
      your help to reach it.

      This invitation is the end result of years of work and reflection.

      Our western culture, sadly, has, in so many ways, turned from the “path
      of life” indicated to us by the Hebrew prophets, and by all the saints
      down through the ages, and, above all, by Christ himself. And where are
      we today?

      Our Church seems often hesitant, and sadly divided. And the greatest,
      oldest division is that between Catholics and Orthodox, West and East,
      Latin and Greek.

      In the East, in the “heartland” of the Orthodox, in 1917, an atheist
      movement overthrew Orthodox Christian Russia, then spread until it
      conquered half of once-Christian Europe. For many of us, the images of
      Lenin gesticulating, Czar Nicholas and his five lovely children slumping
      under gunfire in a basement in Ekaterinburg, gaunt political prisoners
      freezing in the gulags of Siberia, are in our minds and memories... in
      our hearts.

      And the ideas of that regime (among them, abortion, legalized in Russia,
      for the first time in the history of the world, in 1920) have spread
      everywhere.

      This spectacle, this suffering of so many in Russia and Eastern Europe
      and also in the West over the past century, has moved us to act... in
      this letter, through this invitation.

      In travels and conversations...

      In travels and conversations with many in Rome and Russia — including
      with Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict, on several occasions
      — the idea of this invitation was planted, and is now germinating.

      In order to build a movement, in order to help the Christians of the
      East and to strengthen them — and by strengthening them, to help
      ourselves — we need to have an agile structure, a small foundation which
      can act as a catalyst for progress between larger and less agile
      institutions.

      In agreement with Dr. Daniel Schmidt, Vice President of the Bradley
      Foundation of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and Dr. Declan Murphy, Director for Aid
      to the Church in Central and Eastern Europe for the US Bishops’
      Conference (we have traveled to Russia many times over the past 15
      years, from St. Petersburg to Moscow to Kazan to Siberia, in snow and in
      sun, as well as throughout Eastern Europe), I am launching, in this
      letter, a new foundation to be called the “Urbi et Orbi Foundation” (“To
      the City and to the World” Foundation).

      We hope that, after reading this letter, you will choose to be a
      founding member, and perhaps a founding sponsor, of our new Foundation.
      (See the invitation at the end of this email.)

      Our Mission: To Create a Strategic Alliance

      The overarching mission of this new “Urbi et Orbi Foundation” will be to
      promote the “new evangelization” called for so urgently, first by Pope
      John Paul II and now by Pope Benedict XVI.

      The specific mission, however, will be to fashion a “strategic alliance”
      among Christians, too often divided, and especially between Catholic and
      Orthodox Christians, in the face of increasing pressure on Christians in
      the West, and around the world.

      The Foundation aims to defend, though the hour is now late, the
      “Christian West.” We believe that traditional Christian beliefs and
      practices built western culture. As these beliefs and practices are
      discarded in our “post-Christian” world, the life of all of us is
      impoverished. Those beliefs and practices were at the root of a culture
      which respected the dignity of human beings, of family life, of
      marriage, of the individual soul and conscience. We want to try to
      defend what we can of that culture, before it vanishes.

      How? By uniting the up until now divided forces of Catholicism and
      Orthodoxy, of the West and the East, of Rome and Byzantium. By creating
      a “strategic alliance.”

      We cannot predict...

      We cannot predict what results will come from this effort, but we would
      like to begin, and we hope much good will come from it. And we would
      like your help to do this.

      The new Foundation will partner with other foundations and institutions,
      both Catholic and Orthodox, particularly in the area of the former
      Soviet Union, and especially, in Russia, that country where thousands of
      churches were dynamited under the Communists.

      In Russia, a Russian Orthodox charitable foundation based in Moscow
      called the “St. Gregory the Theologian Foundation,” launched two years
      ago by Russian Orthodox Metropolitan Archbishop Hilarion Alfeyev, head
      of the Department of External Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate (the
      “foreign minister,” as it were, of the Russian Orthodox Church) and
      directed by Leonid Sevastianov, a Russian Orthodox layman whose father
      was a leader of the "Old Believer" community in Russia, has collaborated
      on several projects with me and would like to continue to do even more.

      The St. Gregory Foundation has in the past two years received major
      funding support from leading Orthodox Russians, amounting to some $50
      million. (The funds are being used primarily to rebuild Russian Orthodox
      theological academies, but a certain amount will be available for
      specific common projects with our new Foundation.)

      We have been in correspondence with Hilarion, as well as with his
      superior, Patriarch Kirill, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church,
      about this effort, and we have been assured of a desire on the Russian
      side to work together, if we are able to launch the Foundation.

      In America, in conversations with former U.S. Ambassador to the Holy See
      Frank Shakespeare and the late Paul Weyrich, the leading figure of the
      “New Right” 30 years ago and a co-founder of the Heritage Foundation, we
      have been told in no uncertain terms that this project is of vital,
      critical importance, for our Church, for our country, for our culture.
      (Indeed, Weyrich, who became a deacon in the Greek Melkite rite of the
      Catholic Church toward the end of his life, told us there was no other
      foreign policy initiative more critical to the future of the United
      States than an effort to make contact, and build friendships, with the
      Orthodox of the East, and particularly with the Russian Orthodox.)

      During the coming year, therefore, our first goal will be to co-sponsor
      with the Moscow-based St. Gregory Foundation projects in Russia and
      Eastern Europe. Our goal: to demonstrate that it is possible for
      Catholics and Orthodox to work together while not yet fully reconciled
      ecclesially.

      Essentially, it will be an effort to build trust and friendship between
      the Catholic and Orthodox Churches.

      Our Ultimate Goal: Reunion, and a Time of Peace

      The ultimate goal of the “Urbi et Orbi Foundation,” however, is the
      complete reunion of the Orthodox Churches with the Roman Catholic
      Church, that is, an
      end to the greatest schism in Christianity, dating from 1054 A.D.

      For nearly 1,000 years, Christianity has been divided into two halves,
      Eastern and Western, Greek and Latin, Orthodox and Catholic. My
      dissertation director in graduate school at Yale University, Prof.
      Jaroslav Pelikan, the brilliant historian of the development of
      Christian doctrine, now deceased, told me in 1982, 31 years ago, that if
      this millennial-old division were not healed, the West, which had been
      nourished by these two great traditions, would inevitably fall. He
      counseled me to work to end this division, in order to try to preserve
      the Christian roots of our culture.

      Russia and Eastern Europe were once considered an integral part of
      western culture. That region of the world, largely Orthodox, suffered
      enormously under Communism, from 1917 to 1991, when the Soviet Union
      fell. Communism devastated the Orthodox world. In country after country,
      a state atheism sought to stamp out religious faith as “the opium of the
      people.” Thousands, tens of thousands, were deported, imprisoned in
      gulags, and executed.

      But it was not Orthodox who governed these regimes. The Orthodox in each
      country suffered enormously.

      Since 1991, religious faith has re-emerged from the catacombs in much of
      the East. In formerly atheist countries, the Christian faith can once
      again be preached openly. And this perspective opens up another
      possibility: that in the East, religious faith can return.

      “... for we need the East”

      This possibility is part of our Foundation’s vision. We wish to help the
      process in the East whereby religious faith can return. And in so doing,
      we hope to benefit in the West, for we need the East.

      In this perspective, we wish to help bring about that mysterious
      “conversion of Russia” predicted by Our Lady of Fatima in 1917. The
      Virgin of Fatima told the little girl, Lucy: “Russia will spread its
      errors throughout the world.... But in the end, My Immaculate Heart will
      triumph. The holy Father will consecrate Russia to Me; it will be
      converted, and a certain period of peace will be granted to the world.”
      We would like to do our part in helping with that process, hoping that a
      “certain period of peace” may be granted to our world. The goal of our
      Foundation, in this sense, is to help, if we can, to bring a time of
      world peace.

      A New Russian Voice Emerges

      Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev, 46, has emerged as one of the remarkable,
      charismatic leaders in the Orthodox world, and particularly in Russian
      Orthodoxy. The Orthodox world includes 16 different national Churches
      (Serbian Orthodox, Greek Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, and so forth). But
      the most numerous and powerful of these Churches is the Russian
      Orthodox. So, working with the Russian Orthodox is critical in any
      effort to build bridges between Rome and eastern Europe.

      And in Metropolitan Hilarion, we have a willing partner. “The Russian
      Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church should accept each other
      not as rivals, but first and foremost as allies, working to protect the
      rights of Christians,” Hilarion said last year, speaking at the
      International Christian Congress in Wurzburg, Germany.

      “I am asking to act as allies, without being a single Church, without
      having a single administrative system or common liturgy, and while
      maintaining the differences on the points in which we differ.

      “This is especially important in light of the common challenges that
      face both Orthodox and Catholic Christians,” he continued. “They are
      first and foremost the challenges of a godless world, which is equally
      hostile today to Orthodox believers and Catholics, the challenge of
      moral corruption, family decay, the abandonment by many people in
      traditionally Christian countries of the traditional family structure,
      liberalism in theology and morals, which is eroding the Christian
      community from within. We can respond to these, and a number of other
      challenges, together.

      “I would like to stress, once more, that there are well-known doctrinal
      differences between the Orthodox and Catholic faiths, but there are also
      common positions in regard to morality and social issues which, today,
      are not shared by many of the representatives of liberal Protestantism,”
      Hilarion concluded. “Therefore, cooperation is first and foremost
      necessary between the Orthodox and Catholic Christians — and that is
      what I call a strategic alliance.”

      And, just five days ago, on January 12, speaking at Villanova University
      in Philadelphia during a visit to the United States, Hilarion repeated
      these same thoughts.

      “The Orthodox and Catholics encounter the same challenges which modern
      times lay down to the traditional way of life. In this instance we are
      dealing not with theological problems but with the present and future of
      humanity. It is in this sphere that Orthodox and Catholics can interact
      without compromising their ecclesiastical identity. In other words,
      while not yet being the one Church, being separated by various
      theological and ecclesiological problems, we can find ways of
      interacting which would allow us to respond jointly to the challenges of
      the modern world.

      “Together we can help people realize what the traditional Christian
      values are - the family, the worth of human life from conception to
      death, the upbringing of children, the integrity and indissolubility of
      marriage. All of these concepts in the modern secular world are
      subjected to a radical re-evaluation.”

      Here is a link to Hilarion's complete talk:
      http://www.virtueonline.org/portal/modules/news/article.php?storyid=17075#.UPiEo45qeqE

      The Vision of Pope Benedict

      In Rome, the successor of St. Peter, Pope Benedict XVI, is now 85 years
      old (he will turn 86 in April). He is daily speaking beautiful,
      eloquent, powerful words of faith, of self-sacrifice, and of holiness at
      a time when many do not want to hear those words. Our magazine, Inside
      the Vatican, founded in 1993 (we are celebrating our 20th anniversary in
      2013) is one of the strongest supporters of this Pope.

      But Pope Benedict XVI is really a lonely voice in our world right now.
      The vast cultural transformation which has occurred in the West since
      the 1960s has seen a dramatic decline in the public expression of the
      Christian faith throughout the West. Many of the traditions, values,
      beliefs, which once seem sacred and invulnerable to attack or change are
      now under direct challenge.

      One of the great themes of Pope Benedict’s pontificate has been the
      theme of Christian unity, especially unity between Catholics and
      Orthodox. Benedict has emphasized his pledge to ecumenism on many
      occasions in his almost 8-year papacy.

      In his first homily as Pope, on April 20, 2005, he said his “primary”
      task would be to work tirelessly to unify all followers of Christ.

      He repeated that pledge May 29, 2005, on his first journey as Pope, to
      Italy’s Adriatic seaport of Bari — a pilgrimage site for many Russian
      Orthodox because it was the see of their beloved St. Nicholas — and
      called on ordinary Catholics to also take up the ecumenical cause.

      We wish to be among those “ordinary Catholics” who take up that cause.

      Our Vision and Plans

      The vision of our new Foundation may be summarized as: “Let us work
      together to defend our common beliefs.”

      And so we are sending this letter, and asking for a few or you, or many
      of you, to step forward with us.

      For those of you who wish to be members of this Foundation, all that is
      needed is to check “Yes, we would like to be members,” and we will
      enroll you. You will receive regular reports on what we are doing.

      But we also need some financial support, some initial “seed money” to
      launch this initiative.

      We are therefore seeking an initial amount of $250,000 to enable us to
      function for the next 12 months.

      To do this, we were hoping we might find 100 “founding sponsors” of this
      new Foundation, each of whom will pledge $2,500, for a total initial
      amount of $250,000. With these funds, we will be able to launch our work
      to build an alliance with the Orthodox. The initial 100 donors will be
      enrolled as “Founding Sponsors” and invited to meetings with Catholic
      and Orthodox leaders ranging from Cardinal Peter Erdo of Budapest,
      Hungary, to Metropolitan Hilarion himself, in venues ranging from Rome
      to Washington to Budapest to Moscow.

      Our first year’s budget includes the following items:

      —Administration: $20,000 (travel, visas, general operations)

      —“Family and Society” events: $50,000 (a conference or several workshops
      on family life and traditional family values, with media coverage, a
      documentary film and other forms of social media communication)

      —Education: $50,000 (joint projects between Orthodox and Catholics on
      the formation of young people, high school through college — academic
      programs, after school or Saturday social service projects,
      religiously-inspired leadership training, summer camp programs, summer
      seminar series involving Orthodox and Catholic young people doing a week
      session with leading Catholic and Orthodox thinkers, including Vatican
      officials, or some European or American lay Catholic intellectual)

      —Religious Formation: $20,000 (a common pilgrimage to one Orthodox and
      one Catholic site)

      —Children’s programs: $15,000 (a common effort to work with children, in
      Russia, Ukraine, or Eastern Europe, perhaps with the L’Arche Community,
      which is well known for its work with the disabled and orphans)

      —Elderly programs: $15,000 (retirement homes, meal programs, social and
      spiritual activities)

      —A Catholic/Orthodox Forum: $25,000 (modeled on the 2006
      Catholic-Orthodox conference in Vienna, Austria, at which Catholic and
      Orthodox leaders began to talk openly with one another about how to
      “give a soul to Europe”)

      —Joint cultural programs, concerts: $50,000 (modeled on concerts in 2007
      in Rome, Moscow, New York, Washington and Boston, and in 2010 in the
      Vatican, which led to deeper appreciation the common elements of our
      cultural tradition)

      Our Hope: Your Participation and Support

      Each of you reading this letter has important obligations.

      But perhaps you could consider for a moment whether an initiative like
      this, so in keeping with Pope Benedict’s vision of greater Church unity,
      may not be something you would like to support.

      An alliance with the Orthodox, and especially with the Russian Orthodox,
      would not be something small; it could in fact be of profound
      importance, in the history of our Church, and of our world. Please
      consider that.

      Please consider whether it might not be something so dramatic, so
      important in potential, that you might wish to support it.

      So I am asking whether you might not consider joining with us in this
      effort to create a pragmatic alliance with the Orthodox to preserve and
      strengthen our common Christian faith and culture.

      Please support this new Foundation, which seeks the conversion of
      Russia, the renewal of Christianity in the former Soviet Union, and a
      renewal of the Christian faith in the West. All contributions are
      tax-deductible under US law; we will send a receipt from our 501(c)3
      non-profit to be used for your tax filing purposes. I would be grateful
      if you would join with me in this initiative.

      May God bless and protect you and your loved ones, and may you have a
      happy and holy New Year,

      In Christ,

      Dr. Robert Moynihan

      Editor, Inside the Vatican magazine

      Urbi et Orbi Foundation • 326 North Royal Ave • Front Royal, Virginia •
      22630 • USA • Phone: 1-202-905-0433 • Toll-free line: 1-800-789-9494

      P.S. To become a member of this new Foundation, it is sufficient to send
      a return email saying, "Yes, I would like to become a member," and you
      will be enrolled as a member. To become a Founding Member, we are asking
      for donations of $2,500. (We are seeking one hundred Founding Members;
      we already have ten.)