Pope Francis says has prayed for Patriarch Kirill

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2013

      19 March 2013, 13:28
      Pope Francis says has prayed for Patriarch Kirill

      Moscow, March 19, Interfax - The delegation of the Moscow Patriarchate
      headed by Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chief of the Synodal
      Department for External Church Relations (DECR), has arrived in Rome for
      the inauguration of newly elected Pope Francis.

      "The delegation members were accommodated in the St. Martha House, where
      the newly elected Pope is currently living. A brief meeting with Pope
      Francis, who warmly welcomed Metropolitan Hilarion, was held in the
      dining room of the hotel," the press office of the DECR said.

      The Metropolitan introduced the members of the delegation "and gave the
      Pope cordial greetings from Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia."

      "I prayed especially at the today's service (on March 18) for Patriarch
      Kirill because today we celebrate the day of Cyril of Jerusalem by our
      calendar," the Pope said.

      The Pope thanked Metropolitan Hilarion for organizing the 2012
      exhibition of Russian icons in Buenos Aires, which the future Pope attended.

      Metropolitan Platon of Feodosia and Kerch, who has served in Argentina
      for many years and who personally knows the newly elected Pope, will be
      among the guests of honor at the inauguration.

      It has been reported that the Russian delegation, headed by Russian
      State Duma Speaker Sergey Naryshkin, included Russian Deputy Foreign
      Minister Alexey Meshkov and artistic director of the Mariinsky Theater
      Valery Gergiev.

      The papal enthronement will be held on Tuesday.