Patriarch: Serbs must return to Kosovo

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2013
      http://www.b92.net/eng/news/society-article.php?yyyy=2013&mm=03&dd=17&nav_id=85217

      Patriarch: Serbs must return to Kosovo

      *18/3/13*

      BELGRADE -- The most important request of Serbia in all talks about
      Kosovo needs to be the return of Serbs, Serbian Patriarch Irinej has said.

      "One of the first steps and items in the talks, today and tomorrow, a
      condition and request we need to set is the return of a large number of
      Serbs to Kosovo and Metohija," he said at a ceremony marking the ninth
      anniversary of pogrom against Serbs in Kosovo.

      Irinej noted that 240,000 Serbs had been expelled from Kosovo and that
      it was the country's obligation to help those who still lived in Kosovo
      and the displaced to return to their homes.

      He added that one should not despair over Kosovo's faith and that Kosovo
      "is, will be and will remain Serbian as long as it is in our thoughts".
      "If some audacious power makes us lose Kosovo and Metohija, we will
      always have an example of the Jewish people who waited for Jerusalem for
      2,000 years and finally got it," the patriarch noted.

      He underscored that nobody was held accountable for the violence against
      Serbs that lasted from March 17 until March 19, 2004.
      "I am sure that if we had something like that, the whole world would
      have known it. Books and books would have been written and stories about
      the evil would have been told," the patriarch said.

      He added that Orthodox churches and monasteries had no value if there
      were no Serbian people in Kosovo.
      "If we survived five centuries under Turks, we will survive this as
      well. We must not despair," the head of the Serbian Orthodox Church
      (SPC) said.

      The manifestation dubbed "Crime without Punishment", which was held at
      the National Theatre in Belgrade was organized by the Serbian
      government's Office for Kosovo. The event was attended by Prime Minister
      Ivica Dac(ic'.

      Today marks nine years since the March pogrom
      <http://www.b92.net/eng/news/politics-article.php?yyyy=2013&mm=03&dd=17&nav_id=85208>.
      In just three days, Kosovo Albanians expelled more than 4,000 Serbs and
      destroyed numerous churches and monasteries.