Russia envoy urges support for Greek Orthodox

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2013
      http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Local-News/2013/Mar-14/210033-russia-envoy-urges-support-for-greek-orthodox.ashx#axzz2NXk7C0jZ

      Russia envoy urges support for Greek Orthodox
      March 14, 2013 01:53 AM
      The Daily Star

      BEIRUT: Russia’s ambassador to Lebanon, Alexander Zasypkin, reiterated
      his country’s historical support Wednesday for Greek Orthodox’s
      communities in the Middle East.

      Zasypkin made the comments following his visit to the Orthodox
      Gathering’s headquarters in the Ashrafieh neighborhood of Beirut. “We
      have a special relationship with Greek Orthodox [communities] in the
      Middle East.

      We adopt the necessary stances needed to secure their rights and prevent
      their displacement in order to preserve their presence, along with other
      Christian sects, in the region,” he said.

      “We opt for securing the rights of all citizens of Syria. We are
      committed to the statement released during the Geneva Conference and
      call on all parties to act likewise,” he said while commenting on the
      Syrian crisis.

      “[We are] in constant contact with all the Syrian parties to secure
      their adherence to this conference because it believes that it [the
      conference recommendations] offers a fair course for resolving the
      Syrian crisis based on international law.”