St. Vlad's Dean Signs Cooperative Agreement with Faculty of Orthodox Theology in Romania

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2013
      http://www.svots.edu/headlines/dean-behr-signs-cooperative-agreement-faculty-orthodox-theology-romania

      Seminary Dean Signs Cooperative Agreement with Faculty of Orthodox
      Theology in Romania

      /24--25 February 2013 . Off--Campus . Virginia Nieuwsma/

      At the invitation of His Eminence Nicolae, archbishop of the Romanian
      Orthodox Archdiocese in the Americas, The Very Rev. Dr. John Behr, dean
      of St. Vladimir's Seminary (SVOTS) traveled to Bucharest to sign a
      cooperative agreement between SVOTS and the Faculty of Orthodox
      Theology, University of Bucharest <http://www.unibuc.ro/e/n/despre/>.
      His visit, blessed by His Beatitude Daniel, archbishop of Bucharest,
      metropolitan of Muntenia and Dobrudgea, locum tenens of the throne of
      Caesarea of Cappadocia, patriarch of Romania, began on the Sunday of the
      Publican and the Pharisee when he celebrated the Divine Liturgy in the
      Patriarchal Cathedral of Ss. Constantine and Helen.

      On Sunday afternoon, His Beatitude hosted Archbishop Nicolae and Fr.
      John for an extended meeting at the Patriarchal Residence. Patriarch
      Daniel presented Fr. John with a pectoral cross and in return, the
      seminary's Dean offered His Beatitude several SVS Press books and an
      icon of St. Vladimir depicted with the seminary's Three Hierarchs
      Chapel. Father John expressed his gratitude to the Patriarch for having
      blessed the project between the two schools of theology in New York and
      Bucharest.

      "I'm gratified to see that our plans for partnering with overseas
      schools is bearing fruit," said Fr. John. "Through these collaborative
      efforts we will be able to serve the various Orthodox churches in the
      United States more effectively by enriching the formation of our
      students, and we will lay the groundwork for ongoing and sustained
      dialogue with Orthodox schools of theology overseas." The agreement with
      the University of Bucharest's Faculty of Orthodox Theology is the
      second one to be formalized this winter; on February 12, 2013, Fr. John
      and SVOTS Chancellor/CEO The Very Rev. Dr. Chad Hatfield signed a formal
      agreement with the Faculty of Orthodox Theology at the University of
      Belgrade
      <http://www.svots.edu/headlines/serbian-house-studies-be-founded-st-vladimir%E2%80%99s-seminary>
      to establish a Serbian House of Studies at SVOTS.

      In that same spirit of collaboration, Fr. John led a conference for
      faculty and students in the University's Great Hall on Monday, centered
      on the topic "Becoming Human," the theme of his soon--to--be--released
      SVS Press book. During the busy morning, he also met with Theology
      Faculty Dean The Rev. Dr. Stefan Buchiu and agreement, and joined his
      Bucharest colleagues for a celebratory lunch.

      "In the USA, the Orthodox faith is two centuries old, and the Orthodox
      faithful come from all over the world, from Romania, Russia, Bulgaria,
      Serbia, Middle East, so that we all live together," noted Fr. John in
      his remarks during Sunday's Divine Liturgy. "Living together with
      various nations, traditions and cultures, our place is a very special
      one which encourages the experience of the Orthodox faith.

      "We are all pilgrims in this world, as one of the fathers of the second
      century used to say," added Fr. John. "This same early Christian sent a
      letter to Diogenet in which he said of all Christians: 'Any foreign
      country is their homeland and any homeland is a foreign country for
      them.' I am in a foreign country, but I feel as if I am at home in my
      own country."