Russian Orthodox Church hopes to maintain relations with Benedict XVI's successor - Metropolitan Hilarion

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2013

      21 February 2013, 10:03
      Russian Orthodox Church hopes to maintain relations with Benedict XVI's
      successor - Metropolitan Hilarion

      Astana, February 21, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church is hoping
      that the successor of Benedict XVI will continue his policies, said the
      head of the Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan
      Hilarion of Volokolamsk.

      "As to our attitude to Pope Benedict XVI, who is now retiring, our
      attitude is generally positive because the dynamics of the development
      of relations between the Orthodox and Catholic Churches was positive in
      the course of the time when he was pontiff," he told a press conference
      in Astana.

      "Pope Benedict XVI is a person who protects the interests of his Church
      and who is a traditionalist in the best sense of this word, that is, who
      puts the preservation of church traditions much higher than, for
      example, popularity in the mass media," Metropolitan Hilarion said.

      He believes Benedict XVI was not very popular with the press, unlike his
      predecessor John Paul II, but "Benedict XVI was very positively
      perceived both in the Catholic Church and in the Orthodox Church."

      "We value this traditionalism in him and we are hoping that his
      successor will continue the policy of protecting the traditional
      Christian theological and moral doctrines," he said.

      Metropolitan Hilarion said the Catholic Church is now present in
      countries where the traditional understanding of life, religion, and
      relationships between people have been "deconstructed." As an example of
      that, Metropolitan Hilarion mentioned the development of family
      relations in Western countries.

      "In Western countries, marriage is perceived primarily as contractual
      relations between a man and a woman, and in some cases it could be
      contractual relations between two men or two women, and more and more
      countries are legalizing such relationships, such unions. Of course, in
      this situation, when the Catholic Church insists on the traditional
      understanding of family, family values, and the unacceptability of
      abortion, it becomes unpopular and is heavily criticized. Nevertheless,
      it continues defending these moral traditions, on which the life of
      human society has been based for centuries," he said.

      "The position of the Orthodox Church is the same, and we, in this sense,
      see the Catholic Church as our ally and are hoping that this union will
      develop under the new pontiff," Metropolitan Hilarion said.