Ilia the Second – Abkhazia and Tskhinva li are Georgia’s Open Wounds

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2013
      http://georgiaonline.ge/news/a1/society/1361328003.php

      Ilia the Second – Abkhazia and Tskhinvali are Georgia’s Open Wounds

      Georgia Online
      19 February '13

      Abkhazia and Tskhinvali are Georgia’s open wounds - Catholicos Patriarch
      of Georgia Ilia the Second said during a meeting with the United Nations
      Development Programme’s Administrator Helen Clark at Svetitskhioveli
      Patriarchate’s residence.

      The Patriarch spoke about the oldest culture of Georgia and Orthodox
      Church of Georgia. The Patriarch noted that for centuries Georgia has
      been protecting its culture, language, land, independence.

      “We want Georgia to become part of European structures, have close ties
      with the UN, European structures. We have hopes about your visit and
      think that these people will assist Georgia’s economic-political
      development. It’s very difficult for us that territorial integrity of
      Georgia has not been restored. Abkhazia and Tskhinvali are Georgia’s
      open wounds. We hope the territories will return. As Abkhazia, also
      Tskhinvali are the oldest territories of Georgia”, Ilia the Second
      declared at the meeting.

      Ilia the second declares that for 11 years he was the archbishop of
      Abkhazia and then he was elected as Catholicos Patriarch of Georgia. The
      Patriarch said that a lot of Georgia’s young people receive education in
      the West, trying to get knowledge, study European culture and be
      introduced to the European structures. According to Ilia the Second, for
      five years, he chaired the world church council, the centre of which is
      in Switzerland.

      Helen Clark addressed Patriarch by saying that he is spiritual leader of
      the Georgian people. Clark says that internal confrontations must be
      solved with dialogue.

      “You are spiritual leader of Georgian people. It’s important that
      internal confrontations are solved by dialogue. As we know, you call on
      the political parties for this. We are amazed by the success Georgian
      people are reaching in this transition period”, Helen Clark said.

      She said she visited Kakheti yesterday and there is great potential for
      agriculture development in the country. She voiced hope that the
      politicians will shift attention to the important issues like agriculture.

      The second part of the meeting was held behind closed doors. After the
      meeting, Helen Clark went to Svetitskhiveli temple.