Yazigi Celebrates Liturgy Attended by Suleiman, Miqati, al-Rahi

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2013
      http://www.naharnet.com/stories/en/72277-yazigi-celebrates-mass-attended-by-suleiman-miqati-al-rahi
      by Naharnet Newsdesk

      Yazigi Celebrates Liturgy Attended by Suleiman, Miqati, al-Rahi

      Patriarch of Antioch and All the East Youhanna X Yazigi celebrated
      Liturgy at the St. Nicolas Cathedral in Beirut’s Ashrafiyeh district on
      Sunday in the presence of the country’s top political and spiritual leaders.

      President Michel Suleiman, Prime Minister Najib Miqati, Phalange leader
      Amin Gemayel and Maronite Patriarch Beshara al-Rahi were among several
      politicians and clergymen attending the mass.

      Diplomats, including Syrian Ambassador Ali Abdul Karim Ali and Russian
      envoy Alexander Zasypkin, were also present.

      The Liturgy was held on the occasion of Yazigi’s visit to the Beirut
      Bishopric.

      In his sermon, the Greek Orthodox leader stressed that Muslims are
      partners in the nation.

      “Our ties with them extend beyond coexistence. We share with them
      building the future,” he said.

      “We built together with Muslims the civilization of the country. That’s
      why we should preserve it together,” Yazigi said.

      He described Lebanon as a space of freedom and openness, saying: “It’s
      the nation of everyone despite their differences.”

      Yazigi also prayed that Syria remains away from destruction and to
      witness peace.

      Yazigi met on Monday with Syrian President Bashar Assad, a day after the
      newly-enthroned leader appealed for dialogue and peace in the war-torn
      country.

      Greek Orthodox Archbishop of Beirut Elias Audeh threw a lunch banquet in
      Yazigi’s honor at the Bristol hotel.