February 13, 2013
SYOSSET, NY [OCA] Archpriest Eric G. Tosi, Secretary of the Orthodox Church in America, recently offered an update on Chancery activities for the remainder of February 2013.
* The Board of Theological Education [BTE] will meet February 15-16 at Saint Stephen Cathedral, Philadelphia, PA. The Board oversees theological education and ensures standards for the OCA’s seminaries and other vocational programs. It also has specific oversight of the Diaconal Vocations Program and presents the names of candidates for ordination to the Holy Synod from among those who have completed their studies. Members of the BTE include His Grace, Bishop Michael; His Grace, Bishop Irénée; Archpriest John Jillions, OCA Chancellor; Archpriests John Behr, John Dunlop, and Chad Hatfield; and Archdeacon Kirill Sokolov.
* Cindy Davis will join the Chancery staff as Coordinator for the Office of Review of Sexual Misconduct Allegations on Tuesday, February 19. She also will serve as a member of the Sexual Misconduct Policy Advisory Committee. Ms. Davis possesses a Masters in Social Work from Marywood University, Scranton, PA, and is a licensed social worker. Her professional experience includes youth and hospice counseling. She also has served as a caseworker for Wayne County [PA] Children and Youth Services.
* The officers of the OCA will host the second annual meeting of diocesan chancellors and treasurers at the Chancery on Tuesday, February 19, marking the second occasion on which they will meet to discuss practical matters affecting the lives of the dioceses in relation to the Central Church. Of critical importance will be ongoing discussion and input from the dioceses on financing their work and that of the Central Church, as well as alternative plans for financial support. Melanie Ringa, OCA Treasurer, will be present options for discussion.
* On Monday, February 25, His Beatitude, Metropolitan Tikhon, will meet with Archpriests Theodore Boback and Joseph Gallick, Dean and Assistant Dean for Military Chaplains, who will brief him on responsibilities as the endorser of military chaplains and review plans for upcoming chaplain gatherings. Issues related to strengthening pastoral care to chaplains and their families, deployed military personnel, and returning veterans also will be discussed.
* The Metropolitan Council will meet February 26-28. Additional information will be forthcoming.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]