Relations between Orthodox and Greek Catholics in Ukraine goes through a new stage of difficulties,

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2013

      07 February 2013, 10:02
      Relations between Orthodox and Greek Catholics in Ukraine goes through a
      new stage of difficulties, the Moscow Patriarchate official believes

      Moscow, February 7, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church does not
      entirely share the optimism of the Vatican's representative to Russia
      Archbishop Ivan Yurkovich about improving relations between Orthodox
      believers and Uniates in Ukraine.

      "In many ways, we managed to overcome difficulties in relations between
      Orthodox and Greek-Catholics in Ukraine that existed in early 1990-s,
      but we have to accept that today we face new challenges," Secretary for
      Inter-Christians Relations of the Synodal Department for External Church
      Relations Archpriest Dimitry Sizonenko told an Interfax-Religion
      correspondent.

      Thus he commented Yurkovich's words published today by the NG-Religii
      paper. According to the apostolic nuncio "those difficulties of the
      early 90-s today have been overcome in many ways and today there are
      many contacts, especially of personal and informal character, between
      the two Churches."

      The Moscow Patriarchate representative says that the Primate of the
      Ukrainian Orthodox Church "not without grounds is concerned with the
      attempts of the Greek Catholic Church to set up and develop its
      structures in regions where Orthodox believers make a majority."

      Besides, Father Dimitry further said, "we can't help mentioning one more
      injury that needs healing," - church schisms.

      The interviewee of the agency said that in their speeches the UGCC
      official representatives said they were striving to reach unity among
      Orthodox believers in Ukraine, "but in practice they do things aimed at
      reaching the contrary result."

      As an example, the priest pointed out to the UGCC head Archbishop
      Svyatoslav Shevchuk's recent statement when he said that they accept the
      Baptism carried out in churches of the Kiev Patriarchate not recognized
      in Orthodox world.

      At first glance, Father Dimitry said, this statement did not contain
      anything new as since St.Augustine's times the Roman Church has based on
      the teaching that the Sacrament of Baptism cannot be repeated and
      accepted any Baptism held observing certain conditions.

      "However, in context of the current Ukrainian situation it sounds only
      as a witness to their interest in strengthening positions of
      shismatics," the Moscow Patriarchate representative said.