Russian Patriarch Urges Church Presence in Social Networks

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2013
      http://en.ria.ru/art_living/20130203/179197758/Russian-Patriarch-Urges-Church-Presence-in-Social-Networks------.html

      Russian Patriarch Urges Church Presence in Social Networks
      03/02/2013

      MOSCOW, February 3 (RIA Novosti) - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All
      Russia on Saturday lamented a high number of antichurch internet posts
      and said the Russian Orthodox Church he leads should be present in
      social networks to tell the truth to its audience.

      “Blogs and social networks give us new opportunities for the Christian
      mission” at a time when the Church comes under attacks more often than
      before, the patriarch said. “Not to be present there means to display
      our helplessness and lack of care for the salvation of our brothers.”

      “Now that social media shows a huge interest, although not always a
      sound one, in church life, our duty is to convert it for a good cause,
      to create conditions for young people to know about Christ, know the
      truth about the life of people inside the Church,” Patriarch Kirill said.

      “When a person makes a query on church life in an internet search
      engine, he finds a lot of lies, hypocrisy and hatred,” the patriarch
      said at a meeting of the Russian Orthodox Church’s Bishops Council in
      downtown Moscow’s Christ the Savior Cathedral.

      “These are the visible results of activity by the enemy of mankind,” he
      said.

      Patriarch Kirill also told priests that their internet mission should
      complement real communication with parishioners rather than replace it.

      Critics have in particular accused some of church clergy of being
      hypocritical and too rich. Church officials, believers and supporters
      have complained of a media campaign against the Russian Orthodox Church.