UGCC Rep Explains Why It Recognized Baptisms in Kyiv Patriarcate

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5 3:23 AM

      http://risu.org.ua/en/index/all_news/confessional/interchurch_relations/51188/

      Rep of UGCC Explains Why It Recognized Baptisms in Kyiv
      Patriarchate

      The Head of the Department
      of External Relations of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, Mitred
      Protopriest Oleksa Petriv stated in a commentary to the Information Department
      of UGCC that the Head of UGCC, Patriarch Sviatoslav
      stated in response to a letter from the hierarchs of the Ukrainian Orthodox
      Church-Kyivan Patriarchate that UGCC recognized the validity of the Sacrament of
      baptism administered in that church as the Catholic Church teaches that “If a
      Baptism is administered in the name of the Holy Trinity and with the use of
      natural water, it is considered valid.”
      He noted that, according to the teaching of the
      Catholic Church, the sacrament of Baptism is valid regardless of who administers
      it, an unbeliever or a Jew or Muslim or other representative of a Christian
      denomination, provided that it is administered in the name of the Holy Trinity
      with the use of natural water. “The Head of UGCC did not say anything about the
      other sacraments,” explained Fr. Petriv.
      “In view of the above-mentioned correspondence, our
      Church is actually accused of official communication with UOC-KP. But,
      unfortunately, the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church does not maintain any
      official communication either with the Ukrainian Orthodox Church-Moscow
      Patriarchate or the Ukrainian Orthodox Church-Kyivan Patriarchate. All the
      communication is maintained at the level of the All-Ukrainian Council of
      Churches and Religious Organizations and other inter-denominational associations
      acting as public organizations or in the form of occasional correspondence,”
      explained Head of the Department of External Relations of the Ukrainian Greek
      Catholic Church.
      Fr. Oleksa noted that UGCC respects the canons of
      Orthodox Churches at all times and in all cases.
      “We regret that the Orthodox Church is divided in
      Ukraine. And all our actions are aimed to achieve unity between the Orthodox
      Churches in Ukraine, in particular, and the Churches of Volodymyr’s Baptism in
      general. We seek unity and not division the father of which is “one who
      divides,” that is the devil,” said Fr. Oleksa Petriv.