Father Maximos of Mount Athos to lead 2013 Archon Lenten Retreat, April 19-20

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2013
      http://www.archons.org/news/detail.asp?id=601

      Father Maximos of Mount Athos to lead 2013 Archon Lenten Retreat, April
      19-20

      New York, NY
      1/31/2013

      Dear Brother Archons,

      With the blessings of Archbishop Demetrios of America, Exarch of the
      Ecumenical Patriarchate, it is with great joy that we invite you and
      your families to attend the Tenth Annual National Archon Lenten Retreat
      on April 19 and 20 under the chairmanship of Archon Hieromnimon Peter
      Skeadas. With the gracious invitation of His Eminence Metropolitan
      Evangelos of New Jersey, this year's Lenten retreat will be at the
      headquarters of the Metropolis of New Jersey (215 East Grove Street,
      Westfield, NJ 07090-1656; Tel: 908-301-0500).

      Our retreat master will be Father Maximos–a monk of the Holy Monastery
      of Simonopetra, Mount Athos (Greece). Father Maximos appeared on CBS's
      60 Minutes Mount Athos program. He is a native New Yorker, and a
      graduate of Hellenic College and Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of
      Theology. He holds a Ph.D. in patristics, has twice been a fellow at
      Dumbarton Oaks, and for many years was a professor at Holy Cross and
      subsequently at Harvard Divinity School. The author of many scholarly
      books, articles, and translations, his edition and translation of St.
      Maximos the Confessor's Ambigua will be published later this year by
      Harvard University Press. He is currently a visiting professor at
      Hellenic College and Holy Cross.

      Father Maximos will be lecturing on the following topics during the
      Lenten Retreat:

      Friday evening, April 19: The Distracted Life
      Saturday morning, April 20: The Buried Seed
      Saturday afternoon, April 20: From Harvard to Mt. Athos

      Please set aside the time on your calendars to join us in fellowship and
      prayer with your brother Archons. It is an experience you will not
      forget and one that will reenergize your spiritual commitment to live a
      Christ-centered life. Additional material regarding hotel accomodations
      will be forthcoming.

      Please take advantage of this opportunity to energize your Orthodoxy and
      strengthen your devotion to our Lord and Savior so that we may serve the
      needs of the Great Church of Christ with the "shield of faith," the
      "helmet of salvation" and the "sword of the Spirit" in the words of St.
      Paul in his letter to the Ephesians, as we seek religious freedom for
      the Holy and Great Mother Church of Constantinople.

      In Christ,

      Anthony J. Limberakis, MD
      Archon Aktouarios
      National Commander