A church destroyed in Mesopotamia.

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2013
      http://www.fides.org/aree/news/newsdet.php?idnews=33172&lan=eng

      2013-01-31
      ASIA/SYRIA - A church destroyed in Mesopotamia. The Archbishop: "With
      war everyone loses"

      Hassake (Agenzia Fides) - The Syrian Orthodox Church of St. Mary and the
      Christian school of Al-Wahda were destroyed in Deir Ezzor, a town of
      Mesopotamia, at the center of fighting that has caused an exodus of the
      civilian population. This was reported to Fides Agency by the Syrian
      Orthodox Archbishop, Eustathius Matta Roham, Metropolitan of "Jazirah
      and Euphrates," explaining that "it is a very sad day for me and for the
      whole community." The two buildings were hit and destroyed in the
      crossfire between the army and rebel groups. Mesopotamia, note local
      sources of Fides, is experiencing a "slow death", and the entire
      civilian population (Arabs, Christians, Kurds, and other groups) are
      paying a very high price. Archbishop Matta Roham tells Fides: "This
      fierce war is above all a war against our civilization. It is a conflict
      where everyone loses, in the destruction of our beloved country. If the
      rebels or the regime think they can win, in the end, I think we will
      only have a country in ruins, with thousands of orphans, widows, poor
      people and especially destabilized by enmity in society."

      The Archbishop addresses those who are fighting, "Who will rebuild all
      that we have built over decades of hard work? And how long will it take?
      Who will build deteriorated social relations? We ask for the prayers of
      all Christians in the world, in order to regain peace in Syria. "(PA)
      (Agenzia Fides 31/01/2013)