Church to hold annual candy fundraiser

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2013
      http://www.newsandsentinel.com/page/content.detail/id/570063/Church-to-hold-annual-candy-fundraiser.html?nav=5056

      Church to hold annual candy fundraiser
      Order forms available at local businesses through Feb. 10
      January 26, 2013
      By JOLENE CRAIG (jcraig@...) , Parkersburg News and
      Sentinel

      BELPRE. OHIO- For the third year, St. James Greek Orthodox Mission
      Church is selling homemade Valentine's candy as a fundraiser.

      "We've been doing this for three years because we needed a fundraiser
      that identified our congregation and raised money to help us pay for
      things the church needed," said member Photoola Papaefstathiou.

      The church, at 120 Maple St., Belpre, was the former St. Ambrose
      Catholic Church and became the Greek Orthodox church in 2003 following
      the signing of a land contract with the Catholic Diocese of Steubenville
      for the purchase of the property.

      "Because it's an old church, things go wrong and we need to fix them,"
      Papaefstathiou said. "Without a fundraiser, we have no way to pay for
      repairs and changes."

      Making candy to sell for Valentine's Day was the brainchild of
      congregation member Kiki Angelos three years ago.

      "The number one Valentine's Day gift is candy and I knew the ladies in
      the church could do that," Angelos said.