Metropolitan Volodymyr Opposes Construction of Tithe Church

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2013
      http://risu.org.ua/en/index/all_news/culture/inheritance/50929/

      Metropolitan Volodymyr Opposes Construction of Tithe Church

      Chief Architect of Kyiv, head of the main Department of City Development
      and Architecture of the Kyiv City State Administration, Serhii
      Tselovalnyk stated that the construction of a new church on the
      foundation of the ancient Tithe Church is opposed not only by
      professional and scholarly circles but also by the head of the Ukrainian
      Orthodox Church-Moscow Patriarchate, Metropolitan Volodymyr, reported
      Religion.in.ua.

      In an interview to Khreshchatyk newspaper about the possible
      construction on the ancient foundation, Mr.Tselovalnyk said, “One does
      not have to be a builder to understand that nothing will remain of the
      ancient foundation… By the way, His Beatitude Metropolitan Volodymyr of
      Kyiv and All Ukraine, with whom I had an honor to have an audience, gave
      his blessing not to build a church in this place.”

      Let us remind the readers that the director of the Institute of
      Archeology of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Peter Tolochko, has
      recently voiced the opinion of Patriarch Kirill on the construction of
      the new Tithe Church, “I spoke to Patriarch Kirill and asked him about
      his opinion on this renewal. The patriarch answered, 'If we do not know
      exactly what it looked like, it is not advisable to renew it because it
      will be a pulp and not a monument.'”

      At the same time, the leadership of the Tithe Monastery of UOC-MP
      continues to lobby the renewal of the Tithe Church in the state bodies.
      In particular, the president’s representative in the Parliament, Yurii
      Miroshnychenko, initiated such a bill.