Georgian Patriarch denies controversial Karabakh comment

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2013
      http://armenianow.com/karabakh/42328/armenia_karabakh_georgia_patriarch_ilia_ii_comment

      Karabakh | 08.01.13 | 10:57
      Georgian Patriarch denies controversial Karabakh comment

      Ilia II, the Catholicos-Patriarch of All Georgia and the spiritual
      leader of the Georgian Orthodox Church, has denied making a
      controversial comment on the Armenian-Azerbaijani dispute over
      Nagorno-Karabakh during a recent meeting with a top Moslem cleric in the
      Caucasus.

      A Georgian Patriarchate spokesman said earlier this week that Azeri
      media misquoted the Georgian patriarch and alleged that he had referred
      to Nagorno-Karabakh as to the land that belongs to Azerbaijan.

      The meeting between Ilia II and Sheikh-ul-Islam and Grand Mufti of the
      Caucasus Allahshukur Pashazade took place in Tbilisi late last week.

      During the meeting the Georgian Patriarch reportedly spoke about
      territorial disputes in the South Caucasus, including the South Ossetian
      and Abkhazian conflicts in Georgia.

      Azerbaijani news agency Anspress quoted Ilia II as saying: “I will never
      agree with the opinion that we have lost our land. Not at all, we just
      temporarily lost control over these territories. But justice prevails.
      As Abkhazia and South Ossetia are the traditional lands of Georgia,
      Nagorno-Karabakh has belonged and will belong to Azerbaijan.”

      Yerevan made no official reaction to the originally reported comments by
      Ilia II that caused a stir in local media.