Russian Orthodox leader: Church is strong

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2013
      http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2013/01/06/Russian-Orthodox-leader-Church-is-strong/UPI-56261357508848/?spt=hs&or=tn

      Russian Orthodox leader: Church is strong

      Published: Jan. 6, 2013 at 4:47 PM

      MOSCOW, Jan. 6 (UPI) -- Patriarch Kirill, head of the Russian Orthodox
      Church, said Sunday the church will defy campaigns seeking to minimize
      its work.

      "The church will continue strengthening its positions in society despite
      attacks," the Moscow news agency Interfax quoted Kirill as saying.

      Kirill said anti-church campaigns of 2012 arose because of the
      strengthening of the church's positions and influence in society, adding
      that public opinion polls show people's high confidence in Russia's
      church and clergy.

      "They would like to see our church as silent in the face of sin,
      lawlessness, and injustice. They would like it to be inconspicuous --
      not persecuted, not banned, not exiled. Or they would like to see it as
      just folklore, some exotic embellishment of folk life, which has no real
      influence on people's minds and hearts," Kirill said.

      "We will continue caring for the poor and the sick, we will continue to
      openly call sins sins. That's what our savior called on us to do. He
      also warned us that people will resist the word of God and the world
      will rise against the church."

      Read more:
      http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2013/01/06/Russian-Orthodox-leader-Church-is-strong/UPI-56261357508848/#ixzz2HKFBSJbX