“THE CHURCH IS NOT A BUILDING OR RITUALS; IT IS THE PEOPLE OF GOD”

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2013
      http://www.armenianorthodoxchurch.org/v04/doc/English/cathcilnewseng.htm#42

      “THE CHURCH IS NOT A BUILDING OR RITUALS; IT IS THE PEOPLE OF GOD”

      HIS HOLINESS ARAM I

      On 25 December 2012, after the liturgy celebrating the feast at St.
      Gregory the Illuminator Cathedral, His Holiness Aram I received the
      clergy, the seminarians and the faithful at the Main Hall of his
      residence. In his message, the Catholicos said, “Today is not only the
      feast of the protomartyr deacon who served the Church, it is also the
      feast of the Church itself. Jesus, the Head of the Church, came to the
      world to serve, not to be served; He served the sick, the poor and the
      needy.”

      The Catholicos then concluded, “The Church is not only a building and
      rituals; it is the people of God. Throughout our history, our church has
      served our people. The feast of St. Stephen is a constant reminder of
      the essence of our church as the people of God.”

      Following Catholicos Aram I’s message, the seminary students made a
      presentation on the life of St. Stephan and the choir sang hymns
      dedicated to the protomartyr saint.

      HIS HOLINESS ARAM I CONSULTS WITH THE REPRESENTATIVES OF THE ARMENIAN
      COMMUNITY IN SYRIA

      His Holiness Aram I recently received Syrian religious and community
      leaders in Antelias for a series of consultations. The meetings were
      also attended by representatives of the National Executive Council. The
      Catholicos briefed the delegation on his contacts with foreign
      ambassadors and representatives of international non-governmental
      organizations and foundations and on the funds that have been received
      through the Catholicosate’s Special Fund for Syria.

      At the end of the consultations, His Holiness Aram I announced the
      following agreed-upon priorities to be implemented by the leadership in
      Syria:

      · Assist all needy families,

      · Ensure the salaries of all teachers and staff working in
      community organizations,

      · Contact all warring parties and seek information on those who
      have been kidnapped,

      · Strengthen the internal unity of the community.

      His Holiness Aram I then thanked all those who had provided assistance
      to the community in Syria and he appealed for new aid.