Patriarch Kirill urges Latvia to solve the problem of "non-citizens" ....

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2012

      03 December 2012, 10:57
      Patriarch Kirill urges Latvia to solve the problem of "non-citizens" and
      improve the status of the Russian language

      Moscow, December 3, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia
      believes that the solution of the problem of "non-citizens" and the
      status of the Russian language in Latvia will lead to growth of
      international prestige of the country and will strengthen the social
      accordance inside it.

      At the meeting with the mayor of Riga Nils Ushakov on Friday in Moscow
      the Patriarch reminded that 44% of residents of Latvia consider Russian
      to be their native language, however, the authorities think it foreign.

      "This is a unique case in the world practice, I do not know another.
      And, of course, until the situation changes, we will express our
      concern, because this concern is covered by all the existing legal
      documents, regulating the use of language," the Patriarch said.

      According to him the same problem concerns the rights of many people
      living in Latvia, who are still called "non-citizens". "This is a wound
      on our body, and, while the wound hurts, we will never forget it,"
      stressed Patriarch Kirill.

      He expressed his doubt that the solution of the language problem weaken
      the Latvian identity and causing any conflicts. "On the contrary, it
      will promote the international prestige of Latvia, the sympathies of the
      nearest neighbours, and, undoubtedly, will contribute to the
      strengthening of social peace and stability in the society," the
      Patriarch declared.

      According to the data of the Latvian Management on Affairs of
      citizenship and immigration at the beginning of 2012 in Latvia there
      were 312 thousand. "non-citizens", the most - 205 thousand - Russian
      nationality. Most of them are 49-65 years.

      "Non-citizens" of Latvia may not affect on the political situation in
      the country, because they can not be voters and to hold positions in the
      civil service.