Archons encouraged to attend Christmas Byzantine Concert at Carnegie Hall

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2012
      http://www.archons.org/news/detail.asp?id=592

      Archon News
      Archons encouraged to attend Christmas Byzantine Concert at Carnegie
      Hall to benefit 8th Century Church in Proussa, Dec 16

      New York, NY
      11/28/2012

      On behalf of His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios of America, you are
      invited to attend this year's Christmas concert at Carnegie Hall
      entitled, Glory in the Highest. It was the holy angels who appeared to
      the shepherds on Christmas day and proclaimed, Glory to God in the
      highest for the remarkable event of our Savior's birth. On December 16
      at 6PM, the Archdiocesan Byzantine and Youth Choirs of the Greek
      Orthodox Archdiocese will join their voices to those of the angels in
      singing praises to God and offering Him thanksgiving for His Son's birth.

      But this concert will serve an additional purpose. We hope to combine
      the spirit and excitement of this Christmas concert with the important
      effort of our beloved Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew to reopen the
      ancient church of the Holy Archangels in Siyi, Turkey. We hope that the
      doxology offered by the shepherds on Christmas day may again be heard as
      it was for centuries by the faithful in this ancient church of the Holy
      Archangels. This is why all the proceeds from this concert will be
      offered to assist in this noble cause.

      The church of the Holy Archangels, or as it is known in Greek, the
      Taxiarches, was built in the 8th century and is located in the town of
      Siyi, Turkey in the Metropolis of Proussa. The church of the Taxiarches
      is an important church of the Metropolis of Proussa, given that it is
      among the oldest ones still standing in this eparchy. During the
      exchange of populations at the turn of the 20th century the Turkish
      government confiscated this church and rendered it closed to the
      faithful. Now, almost 100 years later, our beloved Ecumenical Patriarch
      is diligently working, with the help of the local metropolitan, to
      reopen it as a house of worship. By attending this concert you will help
      make this sacred endeavor a reality.

      The concert program will feature a selection of ecclesiastical hymns
      from the Christmas period performed by the Archdiocesan Byzantine Choir
      in Greek. The Archdiocesan Youth Choir will perform a number of
      traditional Christmas songs and Greek Kalanda to joyfully usher in the
      holiday season. This is the second time the Archdiocesan choirs are
      sharing a stage at Carnegie Hall. This evening is sure to be a most
      memorable one and I hope that you will keep our choirs and the ancient
      church of the Holy Archangels close to your hearts.

      Conveying to you His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios warmest prayers and
      blessings for a joyous Christmas and offering you my sincerest thanks, I
      remain

      With deepest gratitude,

      Archdeacon Panteleimon Papadopoulos
      Director, Archdiocesan School of Byzantine Music

      *To learn more, or to purchase tickets, visit:
      asbm.goarch.org/carnegieconcert <http://asbm.goarch.org/carnegieconcert>*
      *You may also call Carnegie Hall directly at 212-347-7800*