Pope urges Bartholomew I to 'continue towards communion'

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2012
      http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubriche/english/2012/11/30/Pope-urges-Bartholomew-continue-towards-communion-_7883186.html

      Pope urges Bartholomew I to 'continue towards communion'
      Thanks to patriarch's support 'much progress' has been made
      30 November, 16:52

      (ANSA) - Vatican City, November 30 - Pope Benedict XVI on Friday urged
      the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople Bartholomew I to "continue
      with confidence along the path that leads to the recovery of full
      communion" between the Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches. In a
      message conveyed by a papal delegation to Istanbul for the feast of St
      Andrew the Apostle, the pontiff said "much progress" had been made "on
      this road" thanks to the "assiduous and active support" of Bartholomew I
      . "Even though the road ahead still seems long and difficult, our
      intention to continue in this direction remains unchanged," he added.
      The Vatican delegation was led by Cardinal Kurt Koch, President of the
      Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity.

      He was accompanied by the Council Secretary, Bishop Brian Farrell, and
      by its undersecretary Monsignor Palmieri. The delegates took part in a
      solemn liturgy presided by Bartholomew I and met with the Ecumenical
      Patriarch and members of the synodal commission responsible for
      relations with the Catholic Church.