Bulgaria: STATEMENT OF ST. Synod on November 14, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2012
      http://www.bg-patriarshia.bg/news.php?id=91482

      [Below is a "Google" translation:

      STATEMENT OF ST. Synod on November 14, 2012
      November 14, 2012 16:49, Bulgarian Patriarchate

      STATEMENT OF BULGARIAN Holy Synod of the Orthodox Church, Patriarchate
      BULGARIAN SUBJECT: Letter of Reverend Bishops Gregory from Veliko
      Tarnovo and Plovdiv Nikolay and questions raised by some individuals in
      society and the media

      Holy Synod stated that the letters of the Reverend Bishops were first
      notified in the media before being presented and discussed at a meeting
      of the Holy Synod, and they make a decision.

      As diocesan bishops, members of the Holy Synod of the Bulgarian Orthodox
      Church, we feel obliged to express our opinion one of the most important
      issues in the life of our own Church. This is because of the reputation
      and stability of the BOC.

      1. The meeting of the Holy Synod of 10.11.2012 was lawful as lawful sit
      in stock - attended by 12 bishops and chaired by a senior metropolitan
      service within the meaning of Art. 42, para. 1 of the Statute of the
      Bulgarian Orthodox Church.

      The meeting of the Holy Synod was convened on 10.11.2012 not as regular
      or as exceptional within the meaning of Art. 61 of the Statute, but as
      meeting provided under exceptional circumstances, such as the provision
      of Art. 42, para. 1 - widowhood in the patriarchal throne.

      2. The Articles of Association of the BOC no procedure for selection of
      a deputy chairman. In the absence of express provisions in the Statute
      of the election for President Vicar, the Holy Synod is free to choose
      the voting procedure. After discussion the Holy Synod decided to hold
      ballot for President Vicar for objectivity and to hold free elections.

      As for the secret ballot, then mostly reveals the true will of the
      voters, undistorted by fear of outside influences and suggestions. It is
      by secret ballot, according to the letter and spirit of the Charter of
      the BOC and the public mind, select all the organs in the BOC.

      3. The presiding bishop of Veliko Gregory announces and welcomes it with
      7 votes "for" for the Vicar President of the Holy Synod was elected
      Varna and Veliki Preslav. All bishops accept this result as expressly
      provided no majority for the election of a deputy chairman. This
      decision of the Holy Synod is a special rule for the selection of a
      deputy prime rather than operational decision under Art. 63 of the Charter.

      No dissenting views expressed and challenged in the meeting of the Holy
      Synod.

      The minutes of the meeting signed by nine bishops.

      4. Something that should be highlighted line is that in the absence of
      three bishops left the Holy Synod decided: "President-elect Suffragan is
      managing Sofia bishop / diocese until a new Bulgarian Patriarch and
      Metropolitan of Sofia."

      It should be emphasized that the decision was taken by 8 votes "for" and
      one "against."

      This second decision clearly shows again what the will of the members of
      the Holy Synod and the decision to stabilize the election of a
      deputy-chairman of the Holy Synod and managing Sofia bishopric. The
      minutes of the meeting signed by nine bishops.

      With 8 votes "for" Holy Synod repeated and clearly announce who the
      Vicar-President and Head of the Sofia bishopric.

      6. The decision of the Holy Synod on 10.11.2012, under whose strength
      lies signature and Veliko Tarnovo Bishop Gregory has entered into force
      upon the signing of nine metropolitan and legal effect.

      Statute of the Orthodox Church and the Bulgarian and world legal system
      does not know and is not an opportunity withdrawal or cancellation of
      his signature after application. This is logical and legal absurdity
      that law does not allow for legal and public safety.

      Canons of the Holy Orthodox Church is adamant about the behavior of each
      bishop. XIII Carthaginian rule states: "If someone does something,
      although already given consent and signature, this will deprive
      themselves of honor."

      Beyond this factual and legal matter, any other comments and
      interpretations not afford any member of the Holy Synod, outside the
      meeting.

      We emphasize that BOC is a self-institution and the Holy Synod not
      permitted to adopt interpretations, suggestions and work under pressure
      from anyone, including the members of the Holy Synod, when they do
      outside the established order in the meetings of the Holy Synod.

      We, the members of the Holy Synod, the bishops have a responsibility and
      we take the liberty to call into question our responsible service of God
      and in favor of the authority of our native Bulgarian Orthodox Church.

      In connection with the letters of the Reverend Bishops Gregory Veliko
      Tarnovo and Plovdiv Nikolay Holy Synod decided:

      Confirms choices Vicar President of the Holy Synod and managing Sofia
      bishopric / Diocese of Varna and Veliki Preslav, until a new Bulgarian
      Patriarch and Metropolitan of Sofia.

      In relation to the issues raised by some persons in the public and media
      space after death of Bulgarian Patriarch, the Holy Synod expressed the
      following opinion:

      According to the Constitution and the Law on Religious Bulgarian
      Patriarch and Metropolitan of Sofia. These two posts combined in one
      person are inseparable. Primary is the position of the patriarch, who is
      Metropolitan of Sofia. In the case of the widow of the Patriarchate of
      BOC only possible Sofia Suffragan Bishop is chairman, the election of
      Patriarch, who is also the Bishop of Sofia.

      We remind the whole Bulgarian public that during the schism injury
      claims breakaway from the unity of the Church was the division of
      post-Suffragan Bishop Chairman and Sofia. There should be no double
      standard. All this is overcome and the Holy Synod obeys religion and the
      decision of the Constitutional Court.

      After the passing of Bulgarian Patriarch can not be convened church
      councils, to make changes in the Constitution and especially to change
      the material conditions and the procedure for selecting the Patriarch
      before the electoral council convened Patriarchal and Synodical be taken
      by ordinance similar object.

      General principle of law that apply rules which are acted at the time of
      opening of the electoral process, and this is formally opened after the
      death of Patriarch.

      All we as bishops - members of the Holy Synod to accept moral
      responsibility believer Bulgarian people to the authority of the Church,
      which should not destroy this historic moment.

      And finally recalled that the contested decisions and procedures of
      organs of the BOC to bodies outside the Bulgarian Orthodox Church are
      unacceptable. According to the canons of the Holy Orthodox Church such
      behavior is punishable. In this respect, it is clear the contents of the
      article. 226 of the Constitution.

      The choice of the head of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church is not subject
      to government review. This is the canonical question and issue
      management decisions of the autocephalous Orthodox Church.

      We, the members of the Holy Synod, we are convinced that all the wise
      statesmanship and accept compulsory religious consciousness of the
      Constitutional Court's decision not to interfere in the internal life of
      religious institutions! This in today's historical moment is necessary
      for the authority of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church. We believe that
      church and state, and now we will work for the benefit of the Bulgarian
      people and the unity of our holy Church.

      Vicar-PRESIDENT OF ST. Synod

      + Varna and Veliki Preslav

      MEMBERS OF ST. Synod:

      + SLIVEN METROPOLITAN Yoanikii

      + Metropolitan of Vidin Dometian

      + RUSE METROPOLITAN NEOFIT

      + Nevrokopska METROPOLITAN Nathanael

      + Stara Zagora Galaktion

      + Metropolitan Gabriel of Lovech

      + Dorostolski METROPOLITAN Ambrose

      Files

      Statement of the Holy Synod on 14.11.2012
      <http://new.sliven.net/res/news/91482/IZIAVLENIE%20-%201.tif> [10.1MB]
      Tagged Image File Format
      Statement of the Holy Synod on 14/11/2012 - page 2
      <http://new.sliven.net/res/news/91482/IZIAVLENIE%20-%202.tif> [10.3MB]
      Tagged Image File Format
      Statement of the Holy Synod on 14/11/2012 - page 3
      <http://new.sliven.net/res/news/91482/IZIAVLENIE%20-%203.tif> [7.89MB]
      Tagged Image File Format
      Statement of the Holy Synod on 14/11/2012 - page 4
      <http://new.sliven.net/res/news/91482/IZIAVLENIE%20-%204.tif> [3.88MB]
      Tagged Image File Format