Orthodox cleric receives threats following Golden Dawn comments

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2012
      http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite1_1_22/10/2012_466843

      Orthodox cleric receives threats following Golden Dawn comments

      A Greek orthodox cleric has been receiving threatening phone calls after
      speaking against the country's increasingly popular neo-fascist party,
      according to press reports.

      A verger at the Aghios Dimitrios church in West Macedonia has reported
      that an unknown person recently called and said “we shall burn that commie.”

      The church has reportedly received numerous complaints and warnings from
      what appear to be supporters of Golden Dawn and nationalist activists.

      Metropolitan Pavlos of Siatista last week criticized Golden Dawn after
      members of the Greek far-right party protested against the premiere of
      Terrence McNally's Corpus Christi in Athens.

      In an interview with Imerisia newspaper on Sunday, the metropolitan
      described Golden Dawn as “uncivilized,” adding that the party's acts
      “have nothing to do with ancient Greek civilization nor the Gospel.”

      “We all have to take a clear stand on the Golden Dawn issue... We have
      to preach the word of God, which has nothing to do with the acts
      committed by members of Golden Dawn,” the metropolitan said.

      Meanwhile, Golden Dawn leader Nikos Michalolioakos sparked fresh
      controversy over the weekend after giving the Nazi salute during a
      speech at a Golden Dawn youth rally.

      “We may sometimes hail like this, but our hands are clean,” he said
      while flashing the Nazi salute.

      An opinion poll last week ranked Golden Dawn at third place with 14
      percent of support.

      ekathimerini.com , Monday October 22, 2012 (12:37)