Metropolitan Hilarion calls on Catholics to act as united front to defend Christians

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18, 2012

      17 October 2012, 15:47
      Metropolitan Hilarion calls on Catholics to act as united front to
      defend Christians

      Moscow, October 17, Interfax - Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, the
      head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations, believes
      Orthodox and Catholic Christians should act together to defend Christians.

      "I would like to use this opportunity to call on my brethren from the
      Catholic Church to create a united front to defend Christian faith in
      all countries where it is persecuted and oppressed," the metropolitan
      said at the Council of Bishops attended by Pope Benedict XVI in Rome on
      Tuesday.

      "We see that supporters of militant secularism and atheism in Europe and
      America are trying to cause Christian faith to leave the life of
      society, banish Christian symbols, destroy the traditional Christian
      understanding of family and marriage as a union between a man and a
      woman, and question the very value of human life, from its birth to its
      natural end," Metropolitan Hilarion said.

      He said the very existence of Christian churches is threatened in some
      parts of the world and "millions of Christians are suffering from cruel
      persecution" in some countries.

      "In Iraq, where up to 1.5 million Christians lived several years ago,
      only 150,000 Christians are left, and the others have been killed or
      driven away. There is intensive persecution of Christians going on in
      Egypt, Libya, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Nigeria, India, Indonesia, and
      other countries, both in the Middle East and in other regions,"
      Metropolitan Hilarion said.

      There is a humanitarian catastrophe going on in Syria, where "militant
      Islamists supported by some Western countries are trying to seize
      political power."

      "In places where they have succeeded in that, Christians are persecuted
      and destroyed. The Christian communities of Syria and other countries of
      the Middle East are crying for help, while the Western media are
      ignoring these cries for help. As for politicians, they are turning a
      blind eye to this unprecedented persecution," Metropolitan Hilarion said.

      It is Christians' duty is to keep calling on political leaders,
      international organizations, and the mass media, "reminding them of this
      humanitarian tragedy, which is unfolding in front of our eyes," he said