Initiator of Orthodox militia suggests opening sambo classes in churches

  • John Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2012
      From: Kenneth F. Yossa

      11 October 2012, 17:38
      Russian Orthodox suggests opening sambo classes in churches

      Initiator of Orthodox militia suggests opening sambo classes in churches

      Moscow (Interfax) - Ivan Otrakovsky, the head of the Orthodox movement
      Svyataya Rus (Holy Rus'), has suggested organizing sambo classes in churches
      to prepare believers to defend holy places. [Sambo is an abbreivated Russian
      term for "combat without weapons"--a maritial-arts self-defense method] "We
      propose to open sambo classes in every church," Otrakovsky said in a
      statement obtained on Interfax-Religion on Thursday.

      Otrakovsky previously initiated the creation of a voluntary Orthodox militia
      in Moscow and the Moscow region.Fr. Sergi (Rybko), protopresbyter of several
      churches in Moscow, issued instructions to parishioners of his church at
      Lazarevskoye Cemetery on how to prevent blasphemy.

      "Due to the recent attacks on churches and the desecration of Orthodox holy
      places, I am asking you to pay attention to suspicious visitors. Take
      immediate measures if they have intentions to become rowdy, steal icons or
      holy relics, and especially attempt to enter the pulpit or the altar," the
      priest said in an announcement posted at the entrance to the church,
      according to the Orthodox newspaper Krestovsky Most.

      The priest calls on people to loudly call for help, seek the assistance of
      security guards, and stop such people. "I give my blessing for the use of
      physical force," the hegumen said.