Russian Deputy Calls for Creationism to be Taught in School

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2012
      http://www.pravmir.com/russian-deputy-calls-for-creationism-to-be-taught-in-school/

      Russian Deputy Calls for Creationism to be Taught in School
      Oct 8th, 2012

      A Russian lawmaker has proposed introducing alternative theories of
      human evolution to Darwinism, including creationist ideas, into the
      obligatory school syllabus.

      State Duma Deputy Vyacheslav Lysakov stressed, however, that he thought
      the move should not be made immediately, and emphasized it was his
      personal point of view.

      Several Russian papers reported recently that United Russia
      parliamentarians have proposed changing the secondary school history
      program to include not only Darwin’s theory of evolution but also
      faith-based alternatives.

      “I was answering the question whether I agree that Darwin’s theory
      prevails in school books as the only true one. I said probably it is
      incorrect, considering Darwin’s theory raises serious questions and is
      widely criticized,” Lysakov said, adding it would be right to set out
      several theories of human evolution including one based on religion.

      “Moreover we have a lot of believers and having only one theory is
      incorrect,” he said, adding “of course, we are not preparing any law on
      this.”

      Schoolchildren are already taught that Darwin’s theory is not the only
      theory of human origins, State Duma Education Committee member and
      former head of Federal Education Agency Grigory Balykhin said.

      Starting this year, fourth-graders will have the opportunity to study a
      new subject, Fundamentals of Religion. As part of this course, they can
      choose a more detailed study of the principles of a particular religion,
      the history of all religions in general or can study ethics at their
      request, he said.

      “I think that additional study of this issue in history lessons is
      unnecessary, as there is a special course for it.” Balykhin said.

      Darwin, a British biologist, began developing his theory of evolution
      and natural selection in 1838 after sailing around the world with the
      Royal Navy and observing wildlife and plants. His book, “The Origin of
      Species” was first published in 1859.

      The theory suggests natural species, including man, have evolved slowly
      over time in response to a process of natural selection, in which those
      with certain advantageous characteristics are most likely to succeed in
      breeding, passing on those characteristics to subsequent generations.

      The theory has since come under criticism from other scientists as well
      as religious critics who say it is atheistic.