Orthodox Education Day

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4 8:35 AM
      Orthodox Education Day
      St. Vladimir's Seminary
      Saturday, October 6, 2012

      /YONKERS, NY [SVOTS Communications]/ Enter the worlds of Narnia, Middle
      Earth, and Panem on Saturday, October 6, 2012 on the campus of St.
      Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary, as the school celebrates its
      *annual open house and fall festival*, "Orthodox Education Day." This
      year's theme---*"Inklings of Glory: Godward Journeys with Lewis and
      Tolkien"*---opens doors to literary treasures with Judeo-Christian
      themes, including the works of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien, and the
      blockbuster movie and phenomenal book, The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins.

      What can crowds expect? Expert *presentations *about British authors
      Lewis and Tolkien; an *icon exhibit* of saints of the British Isles,
      with a special print display of icons by Sr. Joanna [Reitlinger],
      instructor of famed iconographers Fr. Gregory Krug and Leonid Ouspensky;
      *Irish dancers* from the Inishfree School of Irish Dance; *book
      discussion groups* for teens and young adults on The Hunger Games, and
      for older adults on The Abolition of Man; a *concert *of sacred music;
      and a *children's activity tent*, with games and handicrafts---plus
      *fabulous international foods*!

      Services for the day will include Divine Liturgy, an Akathist dedicated
      to St. Anna (served in front of the weeping icon of St. Anna from St.
      Tikhon's Monastery, South Canaan, PA), a Panikhida (memorial service)
      for departed loved ones, and Vespers. *His Eminence The Most Rev.
      Tikhon*, archbishop of Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania, will
      preside at the liturgical services, and also serving will be *His Grace
      The Rt. Rev. Michael*, bishop of New York, and New York and New Jersey,
      and administrator of the Orthodox Church in America. As usual, the
      chapel and campus bookstore will be open to the public throughout the day.

      *Admission to the grounds is free*; directions and a full program
      schedule may be viewed here
      <http://svots.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=c319f722b10ef615730420ba3&id=21207627b8&e=b9bd83fbb6>.
      The St. Vladimir's Seminary Community will warmly welcome you to our
      campus this Saturday!

      SVOTS NEWS

      Student-led Ecology Group starts off the new year!
      <http://svots.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c319f722b10ef615730420ba3&id=d3e303cdb1&e=b9bd83fbb6>

      HAVE AN IDEA FOR AN EVENT?

      Share your thoughts with us by emailing advancement@...
      <mailto:advancement@...?subject=Ideas%20for%20SVOTS%20Events>.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 29
        Just a reminder to join us…

        Our annual Open House, Orthodox Education Day, will be held on our campus, Saturday, October 7, beginning with Divine Liturgy at 10 a.m.

        This year’s timely theme is "Modern Martyrs: Christians of the Middle East and North Africa," and the Keynote, presented by biblical scholar Father Georgios Parsenios, is titled, "Dying, and Behold, We Live: Martyrdom in the New Testament."

         Additionally, we’ll be featuring…

        • An emotionally powerful exhibit of photographs of modern martyrs
        • Seminary alumnus Father Abraham Wassef speaking about recent slayings of Christians in North Africa and resulting effects on Coptic Orthodox parishes in North America
        • Nuns from All Saints Monastery talking about their healing ministry for victims of human trafficking: "Martyrdom as Witness: Helping the Hopeless in America"
        • Christine Chaillot, on hand for a book signing of her latest work, The Dialogue between Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox Churches
        • Supplication services for suffering and martyred Christians

        As well, we’ll be hosting…

        • A kid-friendly activity area led by Jenny Mosher
        • Teen talks and activities led by Fr. John Hopko
        • A buffet of delicious entrées, desserts, and poured-over coffee
        • A full display of SVS Press & Bookstore books, CDs, icons, and other religious items

        Our community will warmly welcome you to our campus for “Ed Day,” and, I’ll especially look forward to joining you for a cup of poured-over coffee!

        Hoping to see you there,

        Matushka Robyn Hatrak, Special Events, Hospitality & Alumni Officer

        View details of the day