Patriarch Kirill Comes out for Russian History

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2012
      http://en.ria.ru/papers/20121002/176356631.html

      13:36 02/10/2012
      MOSCOW, October 2 (RIA Novosti)
      Moskovsky Komsomolets

      Patriarch Kirill Comes out for Russian History

      Addressing the 16th World Russian People’s Council, which opened in
      Moscow on Monday, Patriarch Kirill, head of the Russian Orthodox Church,
      called for victory in the information war being waged by the West
      against Russia.

      There are moments in history where there is no visible frontline, but
      still you cannot retreat because otherwise you will lose your country,
      he said, adding, “This is exactly the moment we are experiencing today.
      Physical battles have been replaced by information wars. A battle for
      minds is in progress, in which we must not retreat.”

      The Patriarch reminded his audience that Russia and the Western world
      had emerged from one and the same church. However, after the separation
      of the churches, the West has persisted in its aggression against both
      “our land and our souls. … We are witnessing attempts to rewrite
      Russia’s history. Russian history needs to be defended.”

      Patriarch Kirill concluded his address by making an appeal: “While
      celebrating the 400th anniversary of the end of the Time of Troubles, we
      need to draw a line under the turmoil that followed the disintegration
      of the Soviet Union.”

      Presidential Chief of Staff Sergei Ivanov delivered a message of
      greetings from the president and praised the unique experience of
      cooperation between the Russian Orthodox Church and the state. He also
      promised that “the state will continue to employ the full force of the
      law in order to protect the religious feelings of the Russian people
      against any attempts at sacrilege or blasphemy. After all, it is the
      erosion of the spiritual foundations that has been the source of all the
      tragedies experienced by our country.”

      Federation Council Speaker Valentina Matviyenko said that the Orthodox
      Church was responsible for shaping Russia’s national character, which
      combined a love of freedom with the ability to get along with other
      peoples. She urged the “soft power” of the Russian people to be made use
      of in order to strengthen the country’s unity.

      Minister of Culture Vladimir Medinsky lashed out at the intelligentsia:
      “It is important to urge the intellectual elite to stop digging into our
      common past with a view to seeking out wormholes and mistakes. Enough
      self-exposure! Ours is a history full of great military and labor
      exploits. If we cherish it, it will teach us where to go and what our
      national cause is.”