Statement issued by the Holy Synod of the Syriac Orthodox Church of Antioch

  • John Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2012
      From: SOCM News Bureau
      Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2012 1:22 AM

      Statement issued by the Holy Synod of the Syriac Orthodox Church of Antioch
      10 - 14 September 2012
      St. Jacob Baradaeus Monastery
      Atchaneh, Bekfayya, Lebanon

      The Holy Synod held its meeting at St. Jacob Baradaeus monastery in Atchaneh
      - Bekfayya, Lebanon from September 10 - 14, 2012. It was headed by His
      Holiness Patriarch Mor Ignatius Zakka 1, Iwas, Patriarch of Antioch and all
      the East and the supreme Head of the universal Syriac Orthodox Church. The
      Holy Synod started with opening prayers and supplications to God Who blessed
      and eased the assembly of the Synod in Atchaneh. It is the second time the
      Holy Synod is being convened in Atchaneh. The first one was in September of
      1971.

      The Synod was attended by their Eminences the Metropolitans of the holy See
      of Antioch from all over the world. They discussed the situation of the
      church in general and in the Middle East in particular specially in Syria,
      Iraq, and Lebanon, those countries that are facing turbulent times. They
      prayed for them to have peace and tranquility among all people from all
      denominations, sects, religions, and ethnicities. They also asked the Lord
      to have mercy on the souls of all who perished in this conflict and for the
      speedy recovery of all the wounded, and for reunion of all refugees and
      sufferers.

      The Fathers, members of the Holy Synod, stressed that the Middle East
      countries are our countries which we are proud of its sacred land and soil.
      In it our Lord Jesus Christ was born and lived, as well as our forefather
      long time ago where they established the first civilization in the world and
      we share nowadays our life and destiny with our brethren. We regret the
      chaos and troubles marring this land causing the endangerment of life of
      people, disrespect to their dignity, desecration to their worshipping homes
      and their religious, social, and national institutions.

      It greatly pains the Fathers what is happening in our beloved Syria these
      days, the country that carries our name, civilization, traditions, and
      embraces our Holy See of Antioch. They pray the situation will become calm
      and peace will spread among people. From the position of responsibility, the
      Fathers call upon all sides to stop the violence, the language of weaponry,
      killings, and infringements of all kinds. They call for a peaceful dialogue
      which is the base of every reform or solution to the present crisis. In this
      regard, they want to emphasize that the sole official spokesman for our
      church is the Holy Synod of the Syriac Orthodox Church of Antioch headed by
      His Holiness, our Patriarch. He represents our church and our people at the
      local, regional, and international arenas, albeit all over the world.

      The holy Fathers expressed their confidence that the people of good
      conscience and goodwill can best offer their prayers and supplications to
      God to lessen the burden of these difficult times on the people, asking Him
      for safe return of all refugees to their homes, assuring that immigration is
      a murderous bleeding which abolishes our personality, threatens our
      existence in the land of our forefathers, and destroys our esteemed
      traditions.

      The Fathers discussed the agenda of the meeting which included: The present
      situation of the church in the Middle East and in India, our Archdioceses
      worldwide, our role in the ecumenical movement, the Easter date, the role of
      the laity in the service of the church, and other matters serving people and
      countries. They concluded the Holy Synod urging the faithful to endure and
      take refuge in God because the requests of the faithful will be answered by
      heaven. They ask, in the beginning and the end, to take the path of the word
      and dialogue as a principle which leads us to the safe haven, so that
      whoever works for peace will be rewarded by God Who said: Blessed are the
      peace makers for they shall be called the children of God." (Mathew 5:9
      <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=2458223/grpspId=1705074598/msgId
      =23971/stime=1348295037/nc1=5758222/nc2=3848614/nc3=5191952>