Pussy Riot defense hopes Putin's remarks were a signal for courtl

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2012

      03 August 2012, 15:04
      Pussy Riot defense hopes Putin's remarks were a signal for court

      Moscow, August 3, Interfax - The Pussy Riot punk group's defense lawyer
      said Friday's hearings will show whether President Vladimir Putin's
      remarks were a signal for the court.

      "We see the president's remarks as a signal for the court. But whether
      or not this was so, will become clear at today's hearings," Defense
      lawyer Mark Feigin told Interfax on Friday.

      "Emotions have reached their peak," he said.

      "Not only Russian and foreign rights groups have spoken in defense of
      our clients. Cultural figures, politicians, foreign actors and musicians
      have been monitoring the trial and want justice to triumph," Feigin said.

      Putin said on Thursday that he does not see anything good in the Pussy
      Riot's escapade, but added that they should not be judged too strictly
      and that he hopes for an argued court ruling.

      03 August 2012, 10:01
      Putin says against punishing Pussy Riot musicians "too strictly"

      London, August 3, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said on
      Thursday he did not think the three women members of Russian punk rock
      bank "Pussу Riot" who are on trial in Moscow for a scandalous anti-Putin
      performance in an Orthodox cathedral in Moscow "should be punished too
      strictly."

      "There's nothing good about that [the "Pussу Riot" performance in the
      Cathedral of Christ the Savior in February]," Putin told reporters in
      London. "Nevertheless, I don't think they should be punished too
      strictly. I hope they will draw some conclusions themselves."

      "It's the court that must issue the final decision," Putin said. "I hope
      the court issues a correct decision, a well-substantiated one."

      "I wouldn't very much like to comment, but I think that, if those young
      women had been, say, in Israel and desecrated something in Israel - many
      of you probably know that there are some pretty tough guys there, - they
      wouldn't have had an easy time getting out of there," Putin said.

      "Or of they'd gone to the Caucasus - you needn't look too far, - and if
      they'd gone to some Muslim holy site, we wouldn't even have had enough
      time to take them under our protection," he said.

      Putin answered in the negative when asked whether he had discussed the
      "Pussу Riot" affair during his talks with British Prime Minister David
      Cameron on Thursday.