“Reaching the unchurched” topic of July 18 webinar

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10 10:59 AM
      http://oca.org/news/headline-news/reaching-the-unchurched-topic-of-july-18-webinar

      July 10, 2012
      “Reaching the unchurched” topic of July 18 webinar
      CHICAGO, IL [MW Diocese Communications]

      “The Unchurched: How to Reach the Lost, the Lapsed and the Letdown” will
      be the theme of a webinar conducted by Archpriest Jonathan Ivanoff,
      Director of Mission and Evangelism of the Diocese of New York and New
      Jersey, at 8:00 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, July 18, 2012.

      “Father Jonathan will explore this remarkable development in American
      religious life,” said Mr. Joseph Kormos, head of the Diocese of the
      Midwest’s Parish Development Ministry, which is coordinating the
      webinar. “While America is still perhaps the most ‘religious’ nation in
      the world, we are growing — rapidly — a class of Americans whose
      reaction to and interaction with Christianity ranges from indifference
      to outright hostility. But we can reach them, if we understand who they
      are and what they want—and need. And Orthodox Christianity can provide
      this.”

      According to Mr. Kormos, evangelizing the unchurched is crucial, given
      the fact that

      120 million Americans have reportedly dropped out of “organized
      religion” and no longer identify with a church.
      it is now estimated that some 36 million Americans claim no faith,
      compared to less than 12 million in 1990 and approximately 29 million in
      2001.
      the number of Americans who have broken ties with any and all
      Christian traditions and who no longer attend Sunday services is greater
      than the number of active Methodists, Lutherans and Episcopalians combined.
      One in 10 Americans are ex-Catholics; if they were a separate
      denomination, ex-Catholics would constitute the third-largest
      denomination in the US, after Catholics and Baptists. One of three
      people who were raised Catholic no longer identify themselves as Catholic.

      “Webinar participants will learn exactly what — and who — are the
      ‘unchurched,’ how they differ or are similar to the ‘lapsed,’ and ways
      our parishes can prepare to reach them for Christ,” Mr. Kormos added.

      To register for the webinar, log on to
      https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/999015168. Registrants will
      receive a confirmation e-mail with instructions for joining the webinar.
      PC-based attendees will need Windows® 7, Vista, XP or 2003 Server, while
      Macintosh®-based attendees will require Mac OS® X 10.5 or newer.