Greek Orthodox Church Stance on the “God Pa rticle”

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2012
      http://greece.greekreporter.com/2012/07/07/greek-orthodox-church-stance-on-the-god-particle/

      Greek Orthodox Church Stance on the “God Particle”
      By Areti Kotseli on July 7, 2012

      The Metropolitan of Messinia Chrysostomos expressed his opinion over the
      discovery of the so-called “God particle” that astonished the whole
      world during the past days, clearly drawing a line between science and
      religion.

      “I consider every comparison between the CERN experiment for the
      determination of the Higgs boson and the church’s approach in regard to
      the world’s creation by God incompatible since two disparate things are
      held up under comparison,” said Mr Chrysostomos during a TV show.

      Metropolitan of Pireaus Serafim noted that “behind these scary and
      shameful expressions of human personality, the story of the human race,
      and human philosophy hides the hideous face of demonism because only
      demons or people possessed by one can talk such nonsense.”

      The Greek Orthodox Church has not, however, proceeded to a formal
      announcement on the matter. It is probably waiting to see the results
      and rationally evaluate the outcome of the CERN experiment. Church
      leaders are well aware that whenever they rush to denounce any
      scientific progress, they then had to recall and apologize.

      On the contrary, the Moscow Patriarchate has congratulated scientists on
      the possible discovery of the Higgs boson, or “God particle.”

      “I am glad about this discovery and I would like to congratulate
      scientists on it. It probably again raises the question of whether
      matter has always been the way it is until now or initially developed
      according to a special scenario and is not eternal and unchanging, as
      some people believed several decades ago,” Protopope Vsevolod Chaplin,
      the head of the Synodal department and liaison between the church and
      society, told Interfax-Religion on Wednesday.