Russian Orthodox Church hails possible discovery of the Higgs boson, or “God particle”

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2012
      http://rbth.ru/articles/2012/07/04/russian_orthodox_church_hails_possible_discovery_of_16095.html

      Russian Orthodox Church hails possible discovery of the Higgs boson, or
      “God particle”
      4/7/2012

      The Moscow Patriarchate has congratulated scientists on the possible
      discovery of the Higgs boson, or “God particle.”

      “I am glad about this discovery and I would like to congratulate
      scientists on it. It probably again raises the question of whether
      matter has always been the way it is now or initially developed
      according to a special scenario and is not eternal and unchanging, as
      some people believed several decades ago,” Protopope Vsevolod Chaplin,
      the head of the synodal department on liaison between the church and
      society, told Interfax-Religion on Wednesday.

      According to earlier reports, scientists from the CERN research center
      in Switzerland announced the discovery of a new sub-atomic particle on
      Wednesday. This particle could be the “Higgs boson” or “God particle,”
      which, according to the standard physics model, created the mass of the
      Universe.

      The proof of the existence of the Higgs particle will fit in the theory
      of the Universe accepted by most scientists. When the Universe began
      cooling down after the Big Bang, a hypothetical force known as the Higgs
      field was formed. This field explains the appearance of the mass of the
      particles that formed atoms.

      The clergyman pointed out that Sergio Bertolucchi, director on research
      and scientific calculations at CERN, “honestly admits that only 4% of
      the existing particles can currently be studied and the remaining 96%
      remain unknown.”

      “In my view, humanity is only just beginning to know the world, both
      spiritual and physical. We really do not even know what is located
      twenty kilometers down in the ground, although we can see far-away
      stars,” he said.

      This means that there is still a great deal of room for research and
      thought and for knowledge and understanding of their limitations, he said.