ARCHBISHOP DEMETRIOS EXPRESSES SYMPATHY

  • Rev. Fr. John-Brian Paprock
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2004
      September 7, 2004

      ARCHBISHOP DEMETRIOS EXPRESSES SYMPATHY
      TO THE PEOPLE OF RUSSIA

      NEW YORK- His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios, Primate of the Greek
      Orthodox
      Church in America, has expressed his deepest sympathy and prayers to
      the
      Russian people in the wake of last week's tragic loss of life
      stemming from
      the terrorist attack against innocent school children in Beslan in the
      province of Ossetia.

      In letters to the proper ecclesiastical and political Russian
      authorities
      the Archbishop said: "As the Exarch in America of the Ecumenical
      Patriarchate of Constantinople and Archbishop of the Greek Orthodox
      Archdiocese of America, I write to assure you of our earnest and
      intense
      prayers for the people of Ossetia who have suffered the tragic loss
      of so
      many loved ones. We share with them, and with you, the deep pain
      caused by
      this heinous act, and we express our spiritual solidarity with all the
      people of Russia in this time of intensified terrorist activity.
      Furthermore, we join with all people of good faith throughout the
      world in
      denouncing with all our soul the use of violence against innocent
      people in
      pursuit of political or religious agendas."

      GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
      8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021
      Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0215
      Web: http://www.goarch.org
      Email: communications@...

      For Immediate Release

      The Archdiocese list is being made possible by the Greek Orthodox
      Archdiocese Department of Internet Ministries.