Study Concludes that Proposed Pebble Mine would Threaten Health of Creation, Livelihoods & Tribal Commu

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2012

      http://www.ncccusa.org/news/120531bristolbay.html

      Faith Leaders Call for Protection for Bristol
      Bay

      Study
      Concludes that Proposed Pebble Mine Would Threaten
      the Health of Creation,
      Livelihoods and Tribal Communities

      Seattle, May 31, 2012 – Representatives of the National
      Council of Churches called for protection of the Bristol Bay Watershed today at
      a public hearing in Seattle.
      Following a recent trip to Washington, D.C. by senior religious
      leaders to educate elected officials about the importance of Bristol Bay,
      today’s testimonies reiterated the need to prevent large scale development in
      the Bay, which would threaten jobs, the health of Creation and Alaskan Native
      culture.

      Last week, Archbishop Benjamin of the Orthodox Church in
      America, Bishop Wm. Chris Boerger of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
      and Reverend Marja Coons-Torn of the United Church of Christ joined the National
      Council of Churches in Washington D.C. to thank the Environmental Protection
      Agency (EPA) for their scientific assessment of Bristol Bay and educate elected
      officials about the need for Bristol Bay protection.

      Recently, the EPA released a scientific assessment of
      Bristol Bay that concluded a large scale gold and copper mine, such as the
      Pebble Mine that has been proposed, would destroy at least 55 miles of salmon
      spawning habitat and 2500 acres of wetland.
      This would threaten the health of God’s Creation and the
      well-being of the subsistence culture that provides for the more than 8,000
      Alaskan Natives living around Bristol Bay.

      “[Episcopal Church Presiding] Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori
      frequently talks about science and religion providing two ways of knowing and
      understanding the beauty of Creation," said Mike Schut of the Episcopal Church
      at the hearing. "And she notes that we have better 'depth perception' when we
      use both. The scientific assessment conducted by the EPA provides that depth
      perception that we in the faith community did not have before when it comes to
      Bristol Bay.”

      Ms. Tyler Edgar of the National Council of Churches
      Eco-Justice Program brought greetings and thanks from the Orthodox Church in
      America. “Protecting Bristol Bay is in keeping with our Christian call to
      protect Creation and seek justice for the most vulnerable," Edgar said. "We must
      do all that we can to protect this beautiful and bountiful part of God’s
      Earth.”