Patriarch Alexy makes a statement on the new action of terrorism in southern Russia

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2004
      RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH
      DEPARTMENT FOR EXTERNAL CHURCH RELATIONS
      Office of Communication
      Press-release, September 2. 2004
      <http://www.mospat.ru/text/e_news/id/7546.html>http://www.mospat.ru/text/e_news/id/7546.html

      His Holiness Patriarch Alexy makes a statement on the new action of
      terrorism in southern Russia

      <http://www.mospat.ru/e_holiness>His Holiness Patriarch Alexy of Moscow and
      All Russia has made a statement on the capture of a school in Northern
      Ossetia on September 1, 2004, calling all the Russians and the whole world
      to unity in rejecting and overcoming terrorism. The text of the statement
      is given below.

      Hardly a day has passed since the explosion at the Rizhskaya metro station
      as news has come that a school has been captured in a new terrible outrage
      in Northern Ossetia.

      It is clear to everyone today: Russia has encountered an evil force that
      plans to subject to its will not only our country but also the whole world.
      Seeking to achieve its sinful purposes, it stops at nothing. According to
      Jeremiah the Prophet of God, "heir course is evil, and their force is not
      right"

      Terrorism has become international. Nobody can fence it off with state
      borders or economic or geographical barriers. The people of every country
      must rise in defence of their life and dignity from terrorist threats
      wherever new victims may fall to it. Disaster has reached us today but
      nobody has the guarantee that tomorrow it will not come to his home.

      In the struggle with terrorism much depends on the resolute actions of
      those in power. One should be aware however that nobody can be able to
      ensure protection without the help of all the people.

      I call all the Russians and the whole world to unity in rejecting terrorism
      and overcoming it. It is inadmissible that political, economic or any other
      interests should prevent us from opposing this threat together.

      May the Lord help us to withstand with dignity and patience the hard trial
      that has fallen to our lot. I pray and hope that the children and all those
      held hostage will come out to liberty safe and sound. I appreciate the
      Muslim clergy who have taken upon themselves the mission of mediation.

      +ALEXY
      PATRIARCH OF MOSCOW AND ALL RUSSIA

      RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH
      DEPARTMENT FOR EXTERNAL CHURCH RELATIONS
      Office of Communication
      Address: 22, Danilovsky val, St.Danilov monastery, DECR, 113191 Moscow,
      Russia
      Internet: <http://www.mospat.ru/>http://www.mospat.ru/
      E-mail address: <mailto:commserv@...>commserv@...