INVOCATION OF ARCHBISHOP DEMETRIOS AT REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION

  • Fr. John-Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2004
      September 2, 2004

      INVOCATION OF ARCHBISHOP DEMETRIOS
      AT THE REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION

      New York, NY - Invited to offer the Invocation for the 4th Session of the
      38th Republican National Convention, which preceded the nominations of
      President George W. Bush and Vice-President Richard Cheney, His Eminence
      Archbishop Demetrios of America offered the following Prayer last evening
      at the Convention in New York City.

      PRAYER OF HIS EMINENCE ARCHBISHOP DEMETRIOS OF
      AMERICA AT THE REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION

      SEPTEMBER 1st, 2004 -- NEW YORK, NEW YORK

      Let us bow our heads in prayer.
      Almighty and All-merciful Lord, we bow our heads in thanksgiving for
      the wealth of blessings seen and unseen that You have given us, the
      American people, through times of abundance and times of need, through
      times of war and times of peace. We thank you especially for the
      gifts of liberty and prosperity and for the call to be defenders and
      promoters of justice and freedom for all peoples.

      Humbly we beseech You, Lord, to remember in kindness all our fellow
      Americans who in all times offered and continue to offer their lives
      in defense of this country and the sacred precepts of freedom,
      equality and justice upon which it is founded.

      We also beseech you, O Lord, to bless the work of the delegates of
      this Republican Party Convention who have come together to carry
      forward our democratic institutions. Remember now your servants,
      President George W. Bush, and Vice-President Richard Cheney. Give
      them at all times the wisdom from above; the dedication to justice;
      the knowledge of the truth that sets us free; and above all the love,
      for this nation and for all people, both friend and foe alike.

      Guide them to fulfill the duties of their office always in a way
      pleasing to You, for the good of our nation, for the peace and
      happiness of the world, and for the glory of Your Holy Name. For
      Yours alone is the dominion and the power and the glory forever. Amen.

      GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
      8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021
      Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0215
      Web: http://www.goarch.org