"The fast is for man, not man for the fast"

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2012
      http://www.kiev-orthodox.org/site/english/3458,print.php

      “The fast is for man, not man for the fast”

      By Fr. Phillip Parfenov
      The “Minor Forty-Day Fast”

      This fast, as it is today in the Orthodox Church, became part of its
      tradition relatively late. The first mention of a fast preceeding the Nativity
      feast appears only at the end of the fourth century A.D. and its duration was
      not the same in different parts of the Christian world (the Armenian Church has
      preserved to this day a seven-day fast before Nativity and Theophany, which are
      united into one celebration). Only in 1166 did a council in Constantinople
      establish a forty-day fast before the Nativity, from November 15th to December
      24th (according to the modern calendar, from November 28th to January 6th).

      By analogy to the prepaschal fast, called the Great Forty-Day Fast, the fast
      before Nativity was also sometimes called a forty-day fast, but a “minor” one.
      In general, the number forty can be found repeatedly in the Bible and signifies
      a certain trial or preparatory period—it’s a number of ordeals.
      The foretaste of the feast and its anticipation, coupled with a certain
      self-imposed test of one’s strength, can be no less spiritually rich than the
      feast itself. And that’s why the church calendar predisposes us well in advance,
      gradually, in an ever-increasing process.

      Nativity hymns begin to sound in the Orthodox Church more than a month before
      the feast. The first time is at Vigil for the feast of the Entrance of the
      Theotokos into the Temple, when we sing of her, “The Virgin appears in the
      temple of God, in anticipation proclaiming Christ to all.”1

      “Christ is born; glorify Him! Christ comes from
      heaven; go to meet Him! Christ is on earth; be exalted! Sing to the Lord, all
      the earth! And praise Him in gladness, O people, for He has been glorified!”2

      These words were taken from the first lines of “Oration 38, on Theophany or
      the Nativity of the Saviour,” by St. Gregory the Theologian: “Christ is born,
      glorify Him. Christ from heaven, go out to meet Him. Christ on earth; be
      exalted. Sing to the Lord, all the earth (Ps. 96:1); and that I may join both in
      one word: Let the heavens rejoice, and let the earth be glad,3 for Him who is of heaven and then of earth. Christ
      in the flesh, rejoice with trembling and with joy; with trembling because of
      your sins, with joy because of your hope.”

      From this moment (the evening of Dec. 3rd)4, we
      hear these irmoi of the Nativity Canon at all Divine Liturgies as well as on
      Saturday nights. And services for the Holy Apostle Andrew, the First-Called
      (December 13th), and St. Nicholas the Wonderworker (December 19th) include the
      stichiras of the Nativity forefeast, such as this one from the Vigil for St.
      Nicholas:

      "Splendidly adorn thyself, O cave, for the
      ewe-lamb who doth bear Christ in her womb doth come! O manger, receive thou Him
      Who by a word doth release us mortals from irrational activity! Ye shepherds who
      pipe, bear witness to the awesome wonder! Ye Magi from Persia, bring forth gold,
      frankincense and myrrh, for the Lord hath appeared from the Virgin Mary; and the
      Mother, regarding Him as doth befit a handmaid, worshipped Him Who was laid in
      her arms: How wast Thou sown within me? How didst Thou spring forth in me, O my
      Deliverer and God?"

      In the course of this “Minor Forty-Day Fast,” a special place is given to the
      Old Testament prophets and righteous men: Obadiah (December 2nd), Nahum,
      Habbakuk, Zephaniah, and Haggai (on December 14, 15, 16, and 29, respectively).
      By all appearances, they are gathered for this fasting period deliberately.
      Services for these prophets are not at all celebratory, but rather penitential.
      This shows us that before the advent of Christ, humanity was weighed down by the
      burden of both Adam’s fall and its own lawlessness. But this did not prevent
      those faithful to God even in those times from looking at the future with hope
      and faith in salvation:

      "O Lord, revive Your work in the midst of the
      years! In the midst of the years make it known; in wrath remember mercy…His
      glory covered the heavens, and the earth was full of His praise…You went forth
      for the salvation of Your people, for salvation with Your Anointed. You struck
      the head from the house of the wicked, by laying bare from foundation to neck.
      (Habbakuk 3:1-19"

      On December 30th, the Church commemorates the Prophet Daniel and the three
      holy youths Ananias, Azarias, and Misael. The Vigil includes Nativity hymns as
      well, although the service itself is not at all of a festive sort: “Daniel, a
      man greatly beloved, having seen the stone cut out without hands (cf. Daniel
      2:31-45), foretold the birth of an Infant without seed—You, O Lord, the Word who
      took flesh from a virgin, the unchanging God and Savior of our souls.”

      The blessed dew of the angel that preserved the three youths who were thrown
      into a fiery furnace by order of King Nebuchadnezzar is a prototype of God’s
      condescension during the Virgin’s conception of God made man. As for the youths
      themselves, they show the victory of life and resurrection (the episode of the
      three youths is commemorated especially on Holy Saturday, the eve of the
      Resurrection—cf. Dan. 3:24-90).

      The song of the three youths is not included in the Hebrew Masoretic text of
      the Bible, but it is part of the Greek Septuagint, which is used at Orthodox
      services. And this miracle of the three youths’ preservation in the Babylonian
      furnace is sung in one form or another all the year round, in the 7th or 8th
      song of any canon. In the Nativity Canon, the beginning of the 7th and 8th odes
      is as follows:

      "The children brought up together in godliness
      scorned the impious decree of the tyrant. They were not afraid of the threat of
      fire, but standing in the midst of the flames, they sang: «Blessed art Thou, O
      God of our fathers!»

      The furnace moist with dew was an image
      prefiguring a wonder beyond nature, for it did not burn the children whom it had
      received, nor did the Fire of Divinity consume the Virgin’s womb when it entered
      it. So let us raise the song: «Let all creation bless the Lord and exalt Him
      throughout all ages!» "

      Moreover, the two Sundays before the Nativity are dedicated in general to all
      the prophets and righteous men of the Old Testament and according to the church
      canons, they are called The Week of the Holy Forefathers and The Week of the
      Holy Fathers.

      And, finally, on January 2nd begin the last five days of the Nativity
      forefeast, the last of which is Christmas Eve.

      Therefore, the liturgical and prayerful content of the pre-Nativity fast is
      quite rich. That is what we should turn our attention to, rather than to the
      dietary side, which, despite not being the most important, is nevertheless what
      often worries contemporary Orthodox believers the most! Yet we cannot do without
      the latter, so we will now turn from the more sublime and poetic side to the
      more prosaic and quotidian one.

      “Manshall not live by bread alone”

      The meaning of the corporeal, physical fast can lie in only one thing:
      “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from
      the mouth of God” (Deut. 8:3; Mat. 4:4).

      Bread itself, from a formal and canonical perspective, is a food that is
      fully appropriate for the fast—it’s not a meat or milk-based product, which
      fasts exclude. It is clear that in a wider sense, bread can be understood as any
      food. It’s quite another matter that food can be fatty and tasty—certainly
      undesirable for fasting—or can be modest and simple; bread itself corresponds,
      without a doubt, to the latter.

      But when an Orthodox person pigs out on starchy food and sweets during a
      fast, preoccupied with all kinds of delicacies from the “fast-friendly menu,”
      and along the way even manages to put on some weight, there is clearly something
      wrong with the fast.

      The ascetical fast is directed toward the spiritual side, which presupposes a
      partial overcoming of one’s corporal needs! So that man, bearing the image and
      likeness of God, may not merely walk under the reins of his physical nature, but
      may at least in some small way surpass himself, and all for a single goal: to
      better hear and listen to the word of God!

      But the measure of this effort to surpass oneself will be inevitably
      different. One for beginners, another for mature Christians. One for teenagers,
      schoolchildren, and university students (it’s usually difficult to find
      something on university cafeteria menus that corresponds to classic fasting
      regulations), or for workers occupied in heavy physical labor, and another one
      for those who constantly labor in Orthodox temples, especially for the
      monastics. One for the young and healthy, another for the elderly and ill.
      Unfortunately, in current Russian church life there prevails a formal
      approach in this regard. Many priests and spiritual fathers give instructions
      indicating the corresponding notes of Orthodox calendars and the Tipikon, which
      was originally oriented toward monastic life and hasn’t been edited in the
      Russian Church since the time of Patriarch Joachim (late 17th century).
      Formalism among pastors inevitably gives rise to a corresponding formalism among
      parishioners, who worry about missing the mark and breaking the fast, who
      inspect cookie packages at the store for potential additives like egg powder and
      dried milk, who ask the same questions year after year.

      But such an approach inevitably gives rise to two extremes. The first is
      fasting like a Pharisee: precisely observing all canonical dietary and other
      prescriptions while openly or secretly humiliating those who do not observe
      them. Such people go to church for years, decades, yet do not therewith discover
      the main gifts of the spirit, for which the corporeal fast is meant to be a tool
      and help.

      This begs the question: is such a fast necessary at all? And these doubts can
      inevitably lead to the other extreme, which completely ignores fasts and is
      expressed among certain Orthodox people who are disenchanted with many features
      of the church’s way of life or have grown cold to it. This extreme gained a
      foothold long ago among, for example, the Catholics of Western Europe, where
      among the laity fasts as such no longer exist.

      Father Alexander Men pointed this out in one of his letters:

      "The only thing that I decidedly oppose is the
      abrogation of fasts, which I learned about long ago. Perhaps this does
      correspond to the Western way of life, but I cannot in any way endorse it and I
      urge you to live according to our Orthodox canons…You know that I am an
      ecumenist, but this does not at all mean that I consider Western customs to be
      in all ways better than ours. They too could learn a thing or two from us. (Men,
      Alexander. 'Letters to a Spiritual Daughter—Alexandra Orlova-Model.'" Christianos vol. XIV. Riga (2005): pg. 84)

      How can we avoid both extremes? It is a difficult question, and taking into
      account the means and abilities of each person, individual answers will be
      preferable. At the same time, I would like to emphasize the following.

      “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the
      Sabbath.”5 These words
      from the Gospel are read, incidentally, on the first Saturday of Great Lent,
      clearly setting all priorities. As important as the fast may seem to many
      Orthodox people, man is not for the fast, but rather the fast is for man
      himself. It should not be “an unbearable burden” for him, but is meant to
      train and strengthen him in his physical as well as spiritual health.

      Indeed, ascesis (from the Greek *askisis*) is literally
      “training, exercise.” Someone who is overdiligent in such exercises will
      inevitably overstrain himself and harm his health! But someone who makes a
      small, yet accessible effort to train his will can by all means achieve a good
      result.

      The fasting period is the most suitable for attempting to overcome
      all kinds of dependencies, and not just on some types of food. If
      someone feels within himself not one, but many different weaknesses, let him
      make the maximum possible effort to surmount that which troubles him the most!
      Because, as the proverb says, “if you chase two hares, you won’t catch any.”

      If someone has a weakness for smoking, let him cut back on the quantity of
      cigarettes, but let him eat a little meat and not pay attention for the time
      being to the dietary strictness. If someone has a weakness for sweets, let him
      exclude them from his ration, but partake of dairy products. If someone has a
      weakness for alcohol or beer (from a formal standpoint, wine is a fast-friendly
      product, allowed even during Great Lent on Saturdays and Sundays!), let him
      refuse the slightest use of it without fail. These are all examples, to be
      sure—it’s better to discuss one’s concrete questions with a priest or spiritual
      father with whom one has established a fully confidential relationship.

      Dear co-brothers and co-servants, especially those who are
      young and just starting out, if any of you are reading these lines: taking into
      account all the aforementioned, please show great flexibility in
      relation to each person who asks you about fasts, considering the age,
      physical health, type of work, and many other things, leaving it to his
      conscience to fast in an accessible way. So that it doesn’t turn out like the
      story that a good friend and priest’s wife told me:

      "One priest would often tell me this one. He served
      many years ago in a village parish; it was his first assignment, and he was
      young. He was sitting and reading the lives of ascetics, drinking tea. A little
      old lady came to him: “Father, bless me to lighten the fast; I have diabetes.”
      But the father’s book was open precisely in an impressive place where a certain
      ascetic says that it’s better to die than to break the fast. So the father
      decided that this was the hand of God. That’s what he said to the little old
      lady, word for word. She accepted this without a complaint and went home. And
      pretty soon she did actually die. Then they had to hold the widower back because
      he wanted to strike the priest dead. But what was the point, you can’t bring a
      person back… "

      Translated from Russian by Katia Shtefan
      1 Translator’s Note: this is an excerpt from
      the troparion of the feast.
      2 T. N. This is the first of the nine irmoi of
      the Nativity Canon and it too is sung at Vigil for the Entrance of the
      Theotokos.
      3 T. N. Ps. 96:11.
      4 T. N. As this article was written by a
      Russian priest, all of the dates reflect the Julian Calendar, which is 13 days
      behind the commonly used Gregorian Calendar. Hence, in the Western world, this
      holiday is usually celebrated on November 21st rather than December 3rd.
      5 T. N. Mark 2:27.