Patriarch Filaret: Two Thirds of Parishes of UAOC Ready to Unite with Kyivan Patriarchate

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2012
      http://risu.org.ua/en/index/all_news/confessional/orthodox_relations/46210/

      Patriarch Filaret: Two Thirds of Parishes of UAOC Ready to Unite with
      Kyivan Patriarchate
      4 January 2012, 11:04

      Patriarch Filaret in an exclusive interview to RISU expressed an opinion
      that even though the negotiations between the Ukrainian Orthodox
      Church-Kyivan Patriarchate (UOC-KP) and the Ukrainian Autocephalous
      Orthodox Church (UAOC) did not yield the expected result, it does not
      mean that the whole UAOC does not want unity. He assured that the
      dialogue will be resumed sooner or later.

      “We did not unite because Metropolitan Mefodii, Metropolitan Andrii and
      some other representatives of the UAOC do not want unification. We will
      continue the dialogue with those who want unification. We know that in
      Lviv Oblast, there are many supporters of unity as well as in
      Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast where the two thirds of all the parishes of the
      UAOC are located,” said the hierarch.

      Talking about the recent unsuccessful negotiations with the clergy of
      the UAOC, the head of the Kyivan Patriarchate stressed that the
      initiative to meet at the roundtable did not come from representatives
      of the UOC-KP.

      “We had some experience in 2000-2001 and in 2005. But when I received a
      proposal to meet with Metropolitan Mefodii and when he said at the
      meeting that he is prepared for unification, I thought that, perhaps,
      something changed during these years. Unfortunately, nothing changed,”
      noted Patriarch Filaret.

      According to the hierarch, the dialogue failed exactly due to that
      unwillingness and lack of unity among the bishops of the UAOC.

      “They argue between themselves a lot and not only about the unification
      but in general. The bishops quarrel with each other. Even during the
      sessions of the committees for the negotiation, the bishops of the UAOC
      argued with each other. One can imagine how they communicate with each
      other not in public,” the patriarch said.

      “But in the question of unity of the Ukrainian Orthodoxy, the position
      of Mefodii and Andrii or someone else from UAOC is not a problem. The
      Moscow Patriarchate (UOC-MP) is a problem. It will be a great victory if
      we unite in one national church with them, even with a part of them as
      it will be the real overcoming of the divide,” said the head of UOC-KP.